Dual lav on 2" line - cleanout required?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gimper

Reaction score
I'm working on my finishing my basement and am adding a dual lav, and was hoping to get a check of my plan and confirmation of the cleanout requirement. I've looked at all of the dual lav threads that I could find, and couldn't find a whole lot on the cleanout requirements other than some where they say one is needed.

Attached is a drawing. The blue lines are what is existing, all in 2". I assume that the 2" line also vents the stool, shown stubbed out in green. The horizontal vent line at the top comes from the shower on the left, and runs off to the right and through the roof as a dry vent. I was planning on adding the lines in pink, all in 1.5" other than the 2" connections on the santees where they tie into the existing. (I'll use a long turn 90º, I just couldn't find a model for one)

I'm under the 2012 IPC, and in reading 708.7 on cleanout size, is the 1.5" trap connection sufficient as a cleanout as long as I have a SJ connection where it leaves the wall? If I put a 2" cleanout between the two santees, I don't think it would be very accessible being behind drawers.

If this doesn't work, what should I do? Should the left lav trap arm be 2" with a cleanout, then reduce to 1.5" for the SJ connection. (Since I can't seem to find a 2" -> 1.5" SJ fitting. I suppose I could do a spigot reducer in the 1/8th bend coming out of the wall?)

I think it was originally roughed in with the intention of a 48" or 60" single vanity, and of course going to a dual 84" makes it a bit more difficult. Also, any advice on offset from the sink centerline if coming out of the wall with a 45º? I'll play with the trap arm to see where it'll fit best if there's not a sort of standard of practice. I figure as long as it passes within a couple of inches of the tailpiece then I can align it using the trap.

Thanks!
-Kris

Lav Plumbing.jpg

A long sweep 90 below the pink lav where the vertical turns to horizontal.

Zack

Reaction score
You could use a studor vent on the pink line if you don’t want to tie that back into the main stack. I’ve used studor vents in 2 places in my house and they have worked great. To answer your question, I believe a trap would be sufficient as a clean out for the second sink.

Gimper

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Zack. I don't really see a need for a valve with a much shorter lifespan than joined piping, and suspect that they can't be used inside of a closed wall. They weren't legal in my last jurisdiction (UPC) so I've never looked into them much. Tieing the vent in isn't a big deal. I could also run horizontally back over to the original line as long as it's above 42", but it seems easier to bore one hole in the top plate than 3 through the studs, especially with the one stud only ~1/4" from the vertical line.

I'm sure that the trap adaptor is sufficient for the 1.5" line, but I'm not completely clear on the left sink's trap adaptor being sufficient as a cleanout for the 2" line. It couldn't be run from the roof, since it would surely go straight past the santee and toward the shower.

I guess my question boils down to clarification on exception 1 to section 708.7:
"P" trap connections with slip joint or ground joint connections. or stack cleanouts that are not more than one pipe diameter smaller than the drain served, shall be permitted.​

Does that mean that a 1.5" trap adaptor is okay on a 1.5" trap arm connected to a 2" line as I've shown, or only a 1.5" trap adaptor on a 2" trap arm to the 2" line?

Gimper

Reaction score
Well a framing change has changed things for me slightly, but I think for the better (easier, at least) and I think that the 1.5" SJ coming straight out of the wall is sufficient as a cleanout for the 2" line. Anybody see any issues with this?

Thanks,
-Kris

Attachments

• Lav Plumbing - Revised.jpg
    Lav Plumbing - Revised.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 176

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If its not drywalled Id build it like the picture. Put a clean out tee on the pink lav it will serve both. or just use an aav and forget clean out you can allways fix it if inspector calls it. a lot of inspectors dont know or care .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks