Dual kitchen sink, garbage disposal, backflow to opposite side

Users who are viewing this thread

greecer1

Reaction score
Friends, I have a dual kitchen sink. The left sink has a garbage disposal. If I fill up the left sink several inches high with water, and let the water out with the disposal on, water will start filling up on the right no-disposal side. I have a picture that shows the current setup, where the pipe is straight out horizontally from the disposal to a Tee. I don't know what is normal, that is, did the previous owner do this incorrectly, is this actually normal, or do I need to re-plumb with a different setup. I saw a lot of setup pictures on youtube and on the internet, and they would have me believe that this is correct. But I am also am including one picture that shows a p trap from both the disposal and the other sink, that eventually connect to a wye. What's right, as the current setup that makes a mess in the non-disposal side just can't be right.

Attachments

• Current setup.jpg
    Current setup.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,111
  • Possible_setup.jpg
    Possible_setup.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,754

Reach4

Reaction score
What's right, as the current setup that makes a mess in the non-disposal side just can't be right.
What you have now is normal, except that your tailpiece on the right seems long. This tilts things more than normal. I don't think that would cause your backup symptom.

What I suspect is that you have a partial blockage at the wall. Take p-trap apart, and then try running a snake down the drain lines. You may need a professional to use a big-enough snake.

Do not make your hookup like your second picture.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
While you're there, you may also wish to check that the tee used under the right-hand sink is a "baffle tee", which has an internal baffle to direct the flow from the left side downward. (Look inside the leg of the tee where the disposer drain connects, and you should be able to see a plastic baffle that points downward.) If it is a baffle tee, maybe they have the baffle pointing upward (installed wrong) so it forces water upward toward the right-hand sink?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks