Dual Flush: Video shopping

Users who are viewing this thread

BigHornRam

Reaction score
I've been trying to compare Dual Flush toilets, an obvious shopping comparison would be to watch them in action! Given today's technology, I've been able to find video online showing the Caroma in action. I've been disappointed in my search for others. Specifically I'd like to see and hear a Toto. If anyone can throw one online that would be much appreciated.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why do you feel you need a dual flush toilet in the first place? A quality toilet does not need that feature, Look at the Toto line.

Reaction score
They forgot to show the owner scrubbing the toilet afterward because of the tiny waterspot. I've already got some 2.2 gpf toilets with a waterspot just like that in the vid, and it ain't pretty. No, thanks, I like what I've seen of the waterspot of the Toto, nearly 5 times as much area.

BigHornRam

Reaction score
Why do you feel you need a dual flush toilet in the first place? A quality toilet does not need that feature, Look at the Toto line.

Gary thanks for the reply! I totaly am looking at Toto. I pretty much decided on either the toto or the caroma dual flush units and my wife discovered this glacier bay unit. It was hard for me to say it must be junk especially with the 1000 gram rating! As for the dual flush capable toilets, I am replacing an original toilet to conserve water. The old toilets in my house are 2000 year models though I don't know their gpf's. It seems like the correct choice to go with a dual flush. Maybe I need more education if it makes better sense to get something different. I've been finding a lot about how "good" the toto's are but haven't really seen anything that might help choose a specific model/style based on water conservation purposes.

Reaction score
With 2000 vintage toilets they will be 1.6 gpf. I've got no strong preference either way with regards to dual flush. However, I'm not sure how much water you will really save by making such a change. It depends on the ratio and how often you have the need to double half-flush of full flush. The studies I've seen indicate some reduction with dual-flush vs. a 1.28 gpf HET.

How well do your present toilets work? What do you like/dislike about them? Are you to the point that your really don't like them and want them gone? Mine are old Gerbers with small waterspots. (I have no doubt the Caroma flushes well in comparison to these old things.) I had to modify one of the Gerbers to 2.7+ gpf to get a decent flush out of it. They really don't have much capacity, especially for paper. I haven't had to plunge any in several months, but that's because of the modification and quite a bit of training of the kids so that they use less paper and do intermediate flushes after a few sheets of paper.

The problems I've heard about with the Caroma's is that they have the small waterspot (mess and/or smell) and they tend to spray/atomize/mist some contents when flushing.

The dual flush will give you some reduction as would other high efficiency toilets, but neither will result in a large number compared to a working 1.6 gpf. The HET flush is 1.28 gpf vs. the standard 1.6 gpf. Dual flush will be 0.8/1.6 vs. 1.6 all the time.

As far as home water usage goes, unless one has the much older large flush volume tanks, big reductions are most easily made in the shower with lower flow showerheads (as in less than the 2.5 gpm standard limit). That depends of course on finding one that you like the performance of. The upside of this is that not only is it inexpensive and easy to change a showerhead compared to a toilet, but it also saves water heating costs whereas toilets don't. Unfortunately none of my local stores carry low flow showerheads, so the search has been online reviews and purchases.

Firemark

Reaction score
I've been trying to compare Dual Flush toilets, an obvious shopping comparison would be to watch them in action! Given today's technology, I've been able to find video online showing the Caroma in action. I've been disappointed in my search for others. Specifically I'd like to see and hear a Toto. If anyone can throw one online that would be much appreciated.

caroma_washdown_siphon_flush_v8.wma

I recently purchased 2 Toto Aquia III dual flush toilets and took my own video.

Here's my first try at posting video - with seat/lid down:

Now here's with the seat/lid UP!

By comparison, here's the old Mansfield 3.5:

As far as savings go, I read other posts that quote average household use of #1 flushes 4 times per day vs #2 just once per day per person. Just do the math for a 1.6 GPF... 5 times 1.6 = 8 gallons per person per day vs 5.2 with a Dual Flush. 2.8 gallons per day per person yields a savings of 1,022 gallons per year!

The flush action is terrific and much quieter than my old dinosaur 3.5 gpf Mansfields. The #1 flush works very well and #2 does a good job of cleaning the bowl even on large loads with lots of paper.

Watch out for the Caroma's, there's an online video that's a bit gross showing how they can send up some good splashes all over the place. Just search for Caroma flush video on this site. I'm sure you'll find a link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
These are the links to my youtube videos I just posted of the two flushes of the Toto Aquia III I have in my basement bathroom. Also a picture of one not in front of a sterile white background. I like the toilet a lot. It has yet to clog unlike the almost daily clogging Kohler Wellworths upstairs. The 0.9 flush will actually flush solids too. But if there is any doubt, the 1.6 will surely do it. The waterspot is a little small but the Toto Softclose seat kind of centers you over it. Its not an issue really.

aquia-red.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks