Dryer Vent Sealing

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas K

Reaction score
Hi, guys! I may not be in the right forum here, but hope I'm close. I finally decided that best way to vent stacked dryer was straight up through the roof, capping it with a Dryer Jack Model 477 outlet. My question: Is there any way to seal the rotating collars of this Whirlpool 4396006rw close-quarters 90 degree dryer fitting so they don't leak hot air after installation? I thought about using the Dundas Jafine telescoping vent, but decided not to because it would be difficult to get a vacuum cleaner up into the slim portion of it to clean it, and it has a lot of edges in it that could catch lint.

I have a few days off coming up and would like to get something done for a change. :)

Thanks for any replies!

dryer vent whirlpool.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
At the joint use self tapping screws so they don't pull apart, use aluminum foil tape to prevent leaks, not fabric duct (duck) tape. To clean, brushes are sold with long and very thin flexible shafts. Using the supplied clamps that come with the telescoping vent to attach it to the dry is a PITA and it slips off easily from the dryer. Attach it with one or two self tapping screws but do not use foil tape right at the dryer. You can still use the clamp pus screws. You'll need to support and make connections so you can still pull the dryer out for cleaning, etc and get access to any self tapping screws. The 90º elbow should not be needed right at the dryer.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I finally decided that best way to vent stacked dryer was straight up through the roof, capping it with a Dryer Jack Model 477 outlet.
Keep condensation in mind. At least Alabama does not get too cold so condensation might not be much of an issue. Orienting the male (crimped) end down helps to keep moisture from leaving the pipe.

Foil tape is superior to fabric "duct/duck" tape but it is difficult (impossible?) to get a waterproof seal. The elbow you show does not have a flat surface for the tape to seal the joint of two halves but perhaps it might have been factory sealed?. I prefer mastic over tape on most joints but perhaps a high-heat silicone seal on the inside of the elbow where the two halves join might keep condensation from dripping out of the elbow.

Do you plan to run the cleaning brush down through the roof vent or up through the elbow?

Thomas K

Reaction score
I was going to use the fitting in the photo of first post because it looks slimmer than what a regular 4" 90 degree aluminum pipe fitting would be. I could probably clean the vent from roof (easy access there) and where it joins the dryer as I will have an access panel behind the washer/dryer.

Some kind of cleanout in the area of where exhaust pipe exits dryer would be ideal, but I am stumped as to how to build one.

Thomas K

Reaction score
I still haven't decided where I want to put the dryer vent. Spot under eave would be shortest and easiest, but is within 5' of soffit vent. Spot through brick wall would be the most difficult. I can go through the roof with it, but will be really close to a plumbing vent and satellite dish.

Attachments

• IMG_2279_LI.jpg
    IMG_2279_LI.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 113
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks