Dryer vent and wax ring

Users who are viewing this thread

TCP

Reaction score
So when I had had contractors at my home several months back I noticed they ran my new dryer vent right next to a toliet drain pipe by the flange on the floor below. At the time it didnt register but now when I run the dryer I noticed the floor upstairs around the toilet is very warm. Is this a problem going forward because of the potential to melt the wax ring?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Maybe.
I have seen wax rings melt before. It depends on how warm that area is getting. The wax does seem fine in a warm truck on a sunny Summer day.

TCP

Reaction score
I havent been living here that long yet. I mean theres not water leaking out but I can maybe cut an access panel downstairs. Or maybe wait for it to leak and then change it out to waxless ring? Are those any good?

Reach4

Reaction score
I havent been living here that long yet. I mean theres not water leaking out but I can maybe cut an access panel downstairs. Or maybe wait for it to leak and then change it out to waxless ring? Are those any good?
Waxless seals, such as SaniSeal and more, usually are good. Fernco Wax Free Toilet Seal would not be good for this.

If the wax fails, the symptom will probably not be a water leak, but rather a smell of sewer gasses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks