Dry marble cutting

Users who are viewing this thread

bobbobwhite

Reaction score
Marble is pretty soft, but can I cut it OK dry using a fine-tooth carbide blade on my circular saw? I need a nice edge so no chipping would be best. Any detailed help appreciated. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've used a masonry blade on cultured marble.

I put masking tape on the bottom of the saw guide so I don't scratch the marble.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Carbide will cut it, but since there is no way to know the stone's structure (minor fissures, cracks, weak points, etc.), cutting it with that type of blade is chancy. A wetsaw is less likely to chip the edges, but even that is no guarantee. Felker makes a small wetsaw that looks like a circular saw (better quality for about the same price as the one available at the big box stores). Needless to say, you'd want to use it outdoors, since it will be spraying water everywhere, but it's pretty flexible in what it will cut.

A typical wetsaw blade is a continuous rim, diamond embedded steel. It acts more like sandpaper than a saw and is less likely to chip out things, but it can still happen.

Cutting this stuff dry would raise a huge dust cloud and heat up the blade quickly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks