Drump trap HELP!!

Users who are viewing this thread

sparkslarue

Reaction score
Hi all, I don't know if there's anyone out there that can help me out of this pickle. I need to remove my drum trap in my second floor bath (just added a shower to it) and make way for new and code friendly plumbing, but I can not figure out how to get it out of it's COZY spot. :mad: This pain in my... is wedged in there so well the hardwood floors were cut away a bit to accomode it! I have pix trap 01.jpeg[/IMG]

I hope this is how you load these pix. I can not get the top off either. I did cut a notches and tried to use a chisel and hammer but nothing moved except for stuff that wasn't supposed to!
Anyone out there have any ideas? Hiring a plumber isn't an option since I lost my job and have minimal $$ these days.:eek:(

Thanks in advance for your help!
Cheers!
Dee

Attachments

• Trap_01.jpg
    Trap_01.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 362
  • trap_06.jpg
    trap_06.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 371

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your pictures are too small to make out detail. I'm not familar with drum traps, but I have done a fair amount of remodeling over the last 50 years so here are a couple of thoughts. Often things are installed then later other things are built over/around them with no thought of ever removing anything. You ofter have to be inventative and even destructive at times. Cut the hole larger, take it out from below, disassemble (even by brute force) It went in someway that is now blocked, so figure what is blocking it and what you have to do to remove the block. That's not very specific, but little in remodeling is. My wife cringes when I ask her where my crow bar is. It usually something is going to get torn up big time.

sparkslarue

Reaction score
Hi Gary
Thanks for the reply! I would LOVE to rip it out however the joist is what's blocking it. Whomever installed it actully chisled a wee bit (nothing to compromise the integrity of the joist though) I'll see if I can get the pix bigger. Thanks again for the reply, I know the feeling about the "where's my my crowbar!" Hee hee :D Perhaps now is the time to purchase that new sawsall I've had my eye on!
Cheers! and thanks again!
D
Hopefully these pix might help more?????

Attachments

• trap_3BW.jpg
    trap_3BW.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 393
  • Trap_2bw.jpg
    Trap_2bw.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
drum trap

You can crack it and remove it because it is cast iron.

Can you see a black Duram cast fitting that you could go to it and crack the fitting or maybe use a Sawsall and cut the pipe?

sparkslarue

Reaction score
Hi Plumber1
Hmmmm.... crack it. I like it, It's a two for one with that. Get rid of the trap AND work out my frustrations with it! I'm not quite sure what the black Duram cast fitting is. Getting to the fitting is going to be tricky it's so tight I can barely get a screwdriver between it and the floor. Could I just get a sawzall and cut it right in half? Mmmmm... I bet that's going to smell good! :eek: Thanks again for the ideas!! I'll keep ya posted!
Cheers!
D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

we would have to see more of the installation, but my first thing would be to crack the drum trap to get rid of it, then start from the resulting male thread with some other material, PVC or ABS, to connect a "P" trap.

sparkslarue

Reaction score
any words of advice in cracking that drum trap? or could I just get the sawzall and start cutting? it is in the space so very tightly. Once it's out it shouldn't be that big of a hassle, (famous last words :rolleyes: ) I'm going to use a 2" fernco collar from the male end of the waste to join the new PVC pipes and p-trap.

Attachments

• Trap_01bw.jpg
    Trap_01bw.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 381
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks