Drum trap replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

mmax

Reaction score
I am going to replace the drum trap under my 2nd floor bathtub as it is draining extremely slow. However, I am unsure of where the vent should connect in the waste line. See the attached picture for the current setup. D=drain, T=trap, V=vent, S=main stack under toilet. Right now the vent connects into the side of the drum trap. There is also another pipe that goes up about 18 inches at a 90 turn in the drain line (? in picture). I do not know what the purpose of this is.

Can I just run straight from the drain to a new P trap (get rid of the angled part) and if so where do I tie into the vent?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Tub.gif
    Tub.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,664

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A vent must be in the trap arm after the P trap and before the drain goes down. If the drain turns down before the vent, you will create an illegal S trap.

mmax

Reaction score
Thanks. So would this work? The drain does not turn down until it hits the main stack at the toilet.

Attachments

• Tub2.gif
    Tub2.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,558

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WE have no idea what you now have, but the vent does NOT connect to the middle of the drum trap. If the drain was installed properly originally, then the vent is in the proper location and you just have to replace the trap.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm betting that short of using av AAV, there's no code legal way to tie into a vent. Clean out or replace the drum trap.

mmax

Reaction score
WE have no idea what you now have, but the vent does NOT connect to the middle of the drum trap. If the drain was installed properly originally, then the vent is in the proper location and you just have to replace the trap.

I tried to show in the original diagram how it is currently installed. The drum trap has three pipes connected to it. 1) from the tub, 2) connected the the vent going through the roof and 3) continuing on the to the toilet drain where it connects into the main stack.

The vent is in the wall on the side of the tub.

Seems there has to be a way to use a P-trap here instead of the drum trap. I would prefer to replace it once and for all.

Would this work? Thanks!

Attachments

• Tub3.gif
    Tub3.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,374

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All waste lines should have slope...the vent must come off of the arm exiting the p-trap within certain distances, even if it is close to horizontal (nominal 1/4" per foot slope), and before it turns less than horizontal. If you can do that, it should work. The max distance the takeoff for the vent is depends on the diameter of the pipe, the smaller the pipe, the closer it must be (since at 1/4" per foot, the pipe COULD fill with water, blocking the path for air in a shorter distance). Would need to know the diameter of the pipe (probably 1.5") to know for sure how far away along the trap arm before the vent comes off, but it will probably work with what you have.

mmax

Reaction score
All waste lines should have slope...the vent must come off of the arm exiting the p-trap within certain distances, even if it is close to horizontal (nominal 1/4" per foot slope), and before it turns less than horizontal. If you can do that, it should work. The max distance the takeoff for the vent is depends on the diameter of the pipe, the smaller the pipe, the closer it must be (since at 1/4" per foot, the pipe COULD fill with water, blocking the path for air in a shorter distance). Would need to know the diameter of the pipe (probably 1.5") to know for sure how far away along the trap arm before the vent comes off, but it will probably work with what you have.

Thank you. So if the T for the vent is close enought to the trap, this should work, correct?

Attachments

• Tub2.gif
    Tub2.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,263

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
As I suspected. That's not a vent, you don't vent drum traps. It's a drain from another fixture. It was common to use a single drum trap for two fixtures and, it's all lead pipe too which makes doing anything much more difficult especially if you don't have the tools and knowledge to work with lead and do the transitions properly so, I'm gonna give you some advice that you probably won't want to hear. Hire a licensed plumber.

mmax

Reaction score
There is nothing else the pipe could be a drain for. The only fixtures on the second floor of the house are this bathtub, a sink and toilet. The sink and toilet are on the other side of the tub. There is nothing above this floor.

There is a vent pipe on the roof pretty much directly above this location so I am pretty sure it is a vent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The is absolutely NO WAY that a vent could be connected to the drum trap and function as a vent. In addition, the tub usually entered the trap and the bottom and the waste connection was at the top. Your "from tub" and "to vent" arrows seem to be pointing to the same pipe. Your ????? pipe is the overflow and drain stopper for the tub, at least it was when it was installed. it appears that the original faucet was replaced and the drain parts removed.

Last edited:

mmax

Reaction score
In the first photo the pipe under the text "from tub" is the pipe from the tub, not the pipe where the tip of the arrow is. Sorry for the confusion.

These photos are on the side of the tub. I can't know for certain, but none of the houses I have seen in my neighborhood had overflows in the tub. The tub spouts were originally installed where an overflow would be in a modern tub.

I just don't know what other purpose the pipe I have labeled vent would have if not a vent.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suspect it was for plumbing that was torn out years ago. See if you can follow that "vent" vertically. Im guessing its capped off

mmax

Reaction score
I will run a fish tape up through the pipe one I tear into it to confirm it is the vent I think it is on the roof. Assuming it is a vent, will this work? Tub to P-trap, a T shortly there after off to the vent and continuing on the the main stack?

Tub2.gif

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; ut none of the houses I have seen in my neighborhood had overflows in the tub. The tub spouts were originally installed where an overflow would be in a modern tub.

That is the way it was done in the 20s and 30s. That riser was the ovefrlow and also had the drain stopper operated by a handle in the center of the tub valve.. The spout often entered the but mush lower than the overflow would have been, sometimes only 6" above the bottom of the tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks