Drum Trap, Help identifying drain fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Martiname

Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve got a clogged bath tub drain, and in the crawl space I noticed this brass fitting. I’m thinking it’s a combination p trap/clean out maybe.

The drain pipes is galvanized which lead to a main cast iron. If this is indeed a clean out - am I safe to unscrew without it disintegrating ?

Thanks in advance

2BDF7493-0AA9-4D3D-8838-56BADC7887D5.jpeg

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is a drum trap with a clean-out on the bottom, which I have found to often be a stinker to remove. You will never get a snake to go thru that type of trap.

tub-drum-trap-leak-07.jpg

Martiname

Reaction score
Thanks all for your help. I’ll probably just replace it then with pvc p trap and fernco fittings etc..

To tie in - I’d use Fernco ? Or No hub ?

Thanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks all for your help. I’ll probably just replace it then with pvc p trap and fernco fittings etc..

To tie in - I’d use Fernco ? Or No hub ?

Thanks
Yea get rid of it . Use a shielded coupling similar but not exactly the same as a no hub coupling Fernco brand is ok but not what is referred to as a fernco . a fernco is usually a thick rubber with 2 hose clamps and no metal covering it that kind is only for underground

Reach4

Reaction score
A p-trap needs a vent. While drum traps are not allowed to be added now, they did not need a vent.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
These people did not like the price we gave to replace their shower. They called back a year later because their new shower was clogged and no one could snake it. The contractor with the lower price fashioned two P-traps into an s-trap and then hooked that to the drum trap. I tried to upload the pictures of what they did and what I did to fix it, but of course they are too large. So you'll have to imagine it. It cost that customer way more than paying us to do it right from the beginning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks