Drum Trap diaster

Users who are viewing this thread

goalie3443

Reaction score
OMG! I own a large apartment building that has drum traps under all of the tubs. I replaced two of these trap 2 weeks ago and hadnt had problems with them until then. This morning another tenant has called me and let me know that she has standing water in her tub now too. I plunged it and snaked it and yes tried draino, had to try. Does anyone have any tricks for these because to get to the trap I have to cut into the ceilings and then replace them with p traps as the drums are so old that I cant take the tops off to clean them out. I appreciate your help.

SOUP

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you are screwed

god help you if you get that cable
twisted into a knot in the drum trying to clean
clean out a drum trap

you DO NOT want that to happen...

if you can get access to the brass cover of that drum trap
(if it has been installed correctly flush with the finished floor)
....you can chisel it off then clean out the drain.....

the only down side to it is you have to put an expandable plug back into that clean out lid.....

they are available in my town
and will fit that threaded opening
for about 30 bucks.....and it will seal up real good

the only problem is you cant install one in areas
where people might walk.......the handle sticks up
and would really hurt someone in the bathroom...

being rental property its your decision as to wether
it will look too unsightly or not

good luck ....have tons of fun
on a Satruday afternon....

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Instead if the ceiling, can you make a permanent access door directly behind the business end of the tub?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Just replace the drum traps as they go bad. When they are replaced you will be finished with it all. How many units are we talking here?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drum traps

If they upright with the plug on the top then it is fairly easy to chisel the cover off, and most hardware stores will have a replacement cover. The only problem would be if your traps have the fine thread, which all lead ones but few cast iron ones did.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks