Drum Trap access cover ... best way to remove?

Users who are viewing this thread

Linearcitrus

Reaction score
Our tub is draining slowly and I discovered there is an old drum trap downstream of the drain that I'm assuming is full of junk. Eventually we are going to be remodeling this bathroom and replacing all of the old plumbing with PVC and a more modern trap but for now I just want to try and get the potential clog cleared.

The problem is, I can't get this drum trap cover off. It looks to be a slotted cover on the top that I'm assuming threads off (maybe someone with more experience could tell me if that's not the case). Additionally, from the underside it looks like it has leaked and corroded over time so it may be stuck and I was hesitant about putting too much force on it.

Any suggestions on how to get this thing off without it turning into a much larger cut out and replace job?

Thanks!

picture of trap for reference:

drum-trap-lid.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Those spin off counter clockwise. The slot at the top is where you might place something to turn it. Or grab it by the outside edges.

It looks to be lead where it meets up with the tub drain. At some point, you might be able to cut that out and replace with a modern trap.

Reach4

Reaction score
See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/cleaning-out-a-drum-trap.19342/ #7.

Those were normally brass. I have always heard that hammer and chisel were the tools of choice. I am not particularly recommending this Youtube, but you may find of interest.
The absolute best way how to remove a drum trap lid. - YouTube

I would probably use a plastic lid to replace the destroyed brass lid.

I would not rush into the urge to replace that drum trap with a p-trap, because you may need to add a vent to make a p-trap work. The beauty of the drum trap was no vent needed. It may be that the p-trap could be tied into the lavatory waste which could wet vent that tub trap. But plan it out.

Linearcitrus

Reaction score
Thanks Terry and Reach4. I was actually thinking of the venting problem earlier today. That lead line in the picture is the drain pipe that runs over to an old stack where a toilet drain also connects in. There's no specific vent that I can see but there was an addition put on at some point and the new bathroom plumbing (PVC) connects into the older drain. I know the newer plumbing is vented through the roof but don't know if I'd need another vent somewhere closer to the old tub if I did replace it all with a modern trap. A project for another day :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Tub run to the toilet with lead? Yep, seen that in old homes. Often the toilet has it's vent through the roof, and that's how they're venting the tub too.

Get Sylvan over there, he works with a lot of lead.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
In the video the guy was acting like a gorilla beating the heck out of the lid
I cannot imagine what he would have accomplished if the drum trap was actually installed

Plumbing does not require brut uncontrolled force as a a simple way would be drill a large hole through the top

It is a very tight area so do not try to remove the cap just drill a 3/4" - 1" hole and use one of these until you remodel the bathroom

plug-small.jpg

https://www.zoro.com/westward-hole-saw-bi-metal-34-in-29vt99/i/G7439844/feature-product?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping feed&utm_content=free google shopping clicks&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-qGNBhD3ARIsAo_O7ymvT5cn6r1qIYSSltgNZrNjVXIVkNJ8FZrdDY5xC8r1RnxoDiVeeLsaAvj5EALw_wcB

Last edited by a moderator:

Linearcitrus

Reaction score
Ha! I was thinking the same thing. All sorts of options when the trap is out of the system and on a table where you can beat on it. I know it's unlikely that I'm going to get the cover off easily, and even more unlikely that I'd be able to find a threaded cap to go back on it... but do you think a flexible cover with a clamp (similar to this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-3-in-x-3-in-dia-Flexible-Cap-PVC-Fitting/1000075389 ) would work temporarily?

I would like to get the entire top off so I can clean the trap out. We bought the house a few months back and who knows when it was last cleaned out.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I doubt a Mission cap would fit properly. If you decide to drill a 1" hole and snake the trap to remove hair and then use a water Jetter to scour the trap of old soap scum deposits it should be ok to use for years

The 3/4" or 1" opening would allow easy snaking up to 3/8 cable although a 1/4" would be ok and a water Jetter hose of 1/8th would scour it quite easily

I would have suggest drilling a larger hole but then the cap would be possibly impossible to tap for a plug as it is too thin

How about drilling with a 2" metal hole bit and then buy a

https://www.google.com/search?q=2+inch+rubber+plug&gs_ivs=1

Then use a WET DRY to suck all the hair and muck out of the drum

LENOX 2-in Bi-Metal Arbored Hole Saw
Item #348134Model #1772779
  • 51mm

• Speed slot features a staircase design for easy plug removal

• Non-binding coating for faster cut
16912357.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks