Dropped well cap bolt into well

Users who are viewing this thread

the_glassman

Reaction score
Well, I was trying to put on the well cap and one of the five bolts fell into the well (200)+ feet. I haven't added bleach or had the water tested yet, but have been using water for laundry and bathroom use.

The question is now what? Would I be alright just forgetting about it? I'm concerned it might get sucked up into the pump or cause water quality issues.
Any ideas?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It would have to be damn small to get through the pump strainer. Unless you are the most unlucky guy in the world I think I would forget about it.

Allen Meyers

Reaction score
Well, I was trying to put on the well cap and one of the five bolts fell into the well (200)+ feet. I haven't added bleach or had the water tested yet, but have been using water for laundry and bathroom use.

The question is now what? Would I be alright just forgetting about it? I'm concerned it might get sucked up into the pump or cause water quality issues.
Any ideas?
That bolt is down in the bottom of the well. Your pump is not hung all the way to the bottom. Don't give this another thought, it will be fine.;)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pump is a tight fit in the casing such as a 3.5" pump in a 4" casing, the bolt can't pass the pump. The problem here occurs when you try to pull the pump. The bolt can wedge between the pump and casing and lock everything in place, which is not good. Sometimes it will just ride on the pump to the top and not be a problem. If the casing is 5" or larger, the bolt will pass buy and lay on the bottom, not hurting anything.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If the pump is a tight fit in the casing such as a 3.5" pump in a 4" casing, the bolt can't pass the pump. The problem here occurs when you try to pull the pump. The bolt can wedge between the pump and casing and lock everything in place, which is not good. Sometimes it will just ride on the pump to the top and not be a problem. If the casing is 5" or larger, the bolt will pass buy and lay on the bottom, not hurting anything.

And don't that just ruin your entire day. :mad:

However, what is done is done so no sense fretting about it until the pump has to come up

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks