Dropped a couple of beans in kitchen drain with no garbage disposal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Milka89

Reaction score
Good evening!

I dropped a couple of kidney beans down my kitchen sink, which does not have a garbage disposal. I ran the water for a couple of minutes hoping they would go through the pipes but I am not sure if that was sufficient. Should I be concerned that they will be stuck in the pipe? Will they eventually make their way through the plumbing or will I need to do something to get them out?? Any advice is appreciated

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unless your pipes are already stuffed up, you're fine ... depends on your definition of 'a few', though, too. Lol. We had to snake a drain at a place where the kids admitted to washing a whole pot of beans down the sink.

Milka89

Reaction score
Thank you so much Terry and Dave! I guess I am too paranoid about everything. It was exactly two so I will be ok based on your comments.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Thank you so much Terry and Dave! I guess I am too paranoid about everything. It was exactly two so I will be ok based on your comments.

I'm sure it's nothing compared to what goes down a toilet, so the plumbing won't be an issue. But if you have a septic tank, it's not a good idea to flush anything like foods or fats down the drain.

John

Milka89

Reaction score
I had no idea that toilet water went through the same pipes.. I was concerned that the beans might remain in the thin pipes under the sink and cause mold to form, but now I am starting to worry about all the hair I flush down the toilet every morning (15-20 strands of long hair each day). Hopefully I am not screwed :(

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I had no idea that toilet water went through the same pipes.. I was concerned that the beans might remain in the thin pipes under the sink a

The thin pipes are your water supplies. The thick pipes are the drains. If your beans were the size of cherry tomatoes they still wouldn't get stuck in the drain. All drains in the house (sinks, toilets, washer) eventually join together and drain to the street sewer lines or yard septic system.

John

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
I am starting to worry about all the hair I flush down the toilet every morning

I'd probably stop flushing hair down ANY drain. While probably not a big problem for a toilet, it's certainly a big cause for clogs in sinks.

This is what I remove for my sink drain every few months, thanks to my wife and two daughters.

The only thing that should go in your toilet is toilet paper and feces. No dental floss, no sanitary pads or tampons, no flushable wipes.

No disrespect, but you sound like a worrier. So I would not worry about the hair you have been flushing but it might be time to stop.

Attachments

• rat.jpg
    rat.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 230
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks