Drop pipe question

Users who are viewing this thread

pmeyers

Reaction score
I am replacing my well pump with a solar Grundfoss. The previous installation used 240' of schedule 80 pvc and has been in the ground for 20 years. The pipe seems sound to me, but one supply company said that I should replace it with schedule 120. He said that the older pipe stretches and should be replaced and upgraded to schedule 120. Since that represents a considerable cost, I would be interested in the experience of others.
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I am replacing my well pump with a solar Grundfoss. The previous installation used 240' of schedule 80 pvc and has been in the ground for 20 years. The pipe seems sound to me, but one supply company said that I should replace it with schedule 120. He said that the older pipe stretches and should be replaced and upgraded to schedule 120. Since that represents a considerable cost, I would be interested in the experience of others.
I think reusing the PVC is normal. My well guys replaced the PVC couplings with stainless, but kept the PVC.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Nothing wrong with the old Sch 80. It has been in the well and not exposed to the sun, so it will be fine. Just use metal couplings like Reach said. which I like better than the plastic belled ends on the Sch 120 anyway.

pmeyers

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4 and valveman. Think I'll stick with the old pipe and get stainless couplings. Lost the post for a while, didn't show up where I expected it. In any case I appreciate the help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4 and valveman. Think I'll stick with the old pipe and get stainless couplings.
There is a good chance that the existing couplings are already stainless.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks