Drop ell to 1/2” copper

Users who are viewing this thread

David Yates

Reaction score
Helping a friend - we anticipated a 1/2” NPT connection for the tub filler spout….

so we installed a drop ell to go from PEX to brass and buried it in the wall….

the shower kit finally arrived today and the tub spout has a “slip on” connection over 1/2” copper sealed with o rings in the tub spout….

my question is:
Can I just solder a piece of pipe into a copper sweat to 1/2 NPT fitting and tighten it by using a strap wrench on the 1/2” pipe?

Reach4

Reaction score
Can I just solder a piece of pipe into a copper sweat to 1/2 NPT fitting and tighten it by using a strap wrench on the 1/2” pipe?
I have not had much luck with strap wrenches. You could make your pipe a little long, put a 1/2 inch rod or bolt in the end to avoid crushing if you squeeze too hard, and use a pipe wrench or curved jaw locking pliers to apply torque. Then cut the pipe to length. I am not a plumber. That way you can apply lots of torque without worrying about messing up the pipe surface. Sand off the burr after you cut.

moen-tub-spout-install.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just make it long sweat MIP on one end and a 90 on other with a short scrap. screw it in cut off excess, I'll use scrap or even an old 90 sometimes.
For the most part I put an FIP 90 on bottom for spout at rough in I don't care if its copper tube size or threaded. I haven't done an apartment, condo complex in awhile or tract homes. But even when we did we still used the threaded 90, Today Id think about changing my ways if it was 20 valves or so, probably save a few bucks a valve somehow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks