Dripping PEX fittings. Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
I plumbed my whole house three years ago while under construction. Now in the basement where I can see the fittings three have started to drip slowly!! I’ve removed the stainless steel pinch clamps cut back a few inches and still started to drip
I then removed the fitting with a new one and no leak. How do I stop this from progressing to all the fittings throughout the house?
Is this a few crappy fittings or is this a disaster in the making? All parts were ordered from a supply house. My well pressure is thru a CSV at 55 psi running and 70 psi off. PEX should easily handle 100 psi. Btw the oxygen free PEX on the heating system No leaks but same fittings!! Help

Last edited by a moderator:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Removed a pinch elbow last week. Installed on an upstairs bath remodel a year ago. It was dripping along maybe 1 drop every two seconds. Enough to ruin/stain a sizable area of the ceiling downstairs over a weekend. Clipped it out and stuck a sharkbite in it's place.

I don't have any experience installing that system, but I would follow Reach's advice about calibrating the tool.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
This is one reason why I prefer copper, you end up with too many connections behind walls that can fail as you have experienced. I do realize PEX does have its advantages. You might consider getting a moisture meter to check the drywall areas where you know you made connections. The price on them seems to be all over the place but I do not think a $40 unit from HD or Lowes are worth anything. If you do get one, or maybe be able to rent one, and find a high moisture reading you can also get a camera probe. It would allow you look inside the wall with a pencil size hole for an easy patch job. Again, not sure if these smart phone adapters work all that good but for few dollars it might be worth a try.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Waterpro...0161&wl11=online&wl12=924102324&wl13=&veh=sem

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
This is one reason why I prefer copper, you end up with too many connections behind walls that can fail as you have experienced. I do realize PEX does have its advantages. You might consider getting a moisture meter to check the drywall areas where you know you made connections. The price on them seems to be all over the place but I do not think a $40 unit from HD or Lowes are worth anything. If you do get one, or maybe be able to rent one, and find a high moisture reading you can also get a camera probe. It would allow you look inside the wall with a pencil size hole for an easy patch job. Again, not sure if these smart phone adapters work all that good but for few dollars it might be worth a try.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Waterpro...0161&wl11=online&wl12=924102324&wl13=&veh=sem

All great ideas but what puzzles me is why after almost three years do these leaks start. Also I’ve repaired them by replacing the fittings mostly 90” elbows then recrimp with the same tool I used from the start and no more leaks???

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is it hot water lines, cold water or both? It could be the plastic collapsing on itself or the crimps are losing there tension. How to stop it I’m not sure. Might try’s different bands from another company.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks