Dripping noise inside toilet drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I remodeled a 2nd floor bathroom and yesterday I re-installed the toilet. The toilet drain pipe (which is ABS) goes straight down about 2', then makes a right angle turn. At that right angle, there is a constant sound of dripping water inside the pipe---it's definitely inside the pipe and there's no indication of any water getting out. Also, the dripping seems to continue even after the toilet has not been used for a long period of time (like overnight). I don't see how any problem with the installation could cause such a problem. Any ideas as to what might be going on here? Any suggestions as to how to proceed? Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
HOw are you hearing the sound that you know exactly where it is coming from? IF the tank is leaking the water will continue to drip through the toilet no matter whether it is used or not.

Reaction score
HOw are you hearing the sound that you know exactly where it is coming from? IF the tank is leaking the water will continue to drip through the toilet no matter whether it is used or not.

The right angle I mentioned is exposed in a crawl space, and standing next to that, the dripping is fairly pronounced. Apparently, the drops are falling 2 feet and landing on (the inside of) the ABS pipe. It's kind of surprising that it would be that loud, given that it's inside the pipe, but it is what it is. At a very quiet time, the dripping sound is (barely) discernible inside the house.

I didn't do the food coloring, but I did play with the flapper, getting it more centered over the hole, and that stopped the dripping sound. Unfortunately, that's not going to be a permanent solution, since it tends to pull a bit to the side when flushed, which seems to be the source of the problem.

Btw, this is a very nice high-end Toto toilet (Ultramax MS854114S01) that's only about 2 years old and never gave us any problems. I'm thinking that a very slow leak like this might be a common situation that for a typical toilet drain pipe configuration would go unnoticed. In other words, it might be hard to actually fix. What do you experts think?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It the flapper drops to one side, you might want to see if bending the brass rod helps to drop more centered.

Or it may be fixed by replacing the flapper.
Most dealers like myself carry the $14.99 original flapper,
or Lowes carries the Korky replacement for $9.99

Chemicals inside a tank can shorten the life of rubber parts, and disable any warranties in the tank.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the flapper does not center itself every time, that usually indicates that it has either deteriorated or it is defective. Replace it and your problem will probably disappear.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks