Dripping Johnson Controls F93H-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Gvalley

Reaction score
Hello. Just noticed a drip every few seconds from this gadget on my well water storage tank. It's a
"Johnson Controls F93H-1 Deep Well Air Volume Control". You can see a drip coming off the bottom, I guess that might be where it's supposed to drip as a relief valve?

The tank is about 5 years old. I know a good plumber who can replace parts but I'd like to know what has caused this and appreciate any suggestions regarding what parts are good to replace. I can order the parts in advance and have things ready before he comes out.

It might be of interest that my plumber was just here a few days ago to replace the relief valve that sits directly on top of the well itself, about 30' away from this tank. That valve had rusted, and was slowly spraying water so I put a plastic cap on it months ago. Finally had him out last weekend. A few hours after he left, our power went out due to a storm. We didn't use much water, left the house and came back in the evening, the power was back on.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20160315_214722160.jpg
    IMG_20160315_214722160.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 442

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You just need a new AVC. Those things normally don't last very long. They have a little needle valve in them that quits working or starts leaking from the same rust that messed up the pressure relief valve. An old style air over water tank system like that has a bleeder orifice about 5' down the well to let the water drain out, a check valve before the pressure tank to take the pressure off the bleeder so it can open, a Schrader valve screwed into the check valve to draw air into the pipes, and an AVC or Air Volume Control in the side of the tank to let out excess air. All of these things have little orifices and little valves that get messed up and require frequent maintenance.

This is why most people now use bladder style tanks that don't need or use any of these little gadgets that cause so much trouble. The only reason to keep an old style air over water system is if you have iron, H2S, or something in the water that requires aeration to clean up. If you do not have anything stinky in the water, switching to a bladder style tank would save you a lot of maintenance.

If you don't keep up with the maintenance on those old type systems the tank will waterlog and the pump will be destroyed from rapid cycling.

Gvalley

Reaction score
Valveman -- thank you very much for your response, and your summary of my setup which sounds exactly correct. I don't want to jinx it but my home was built in 1986 and I believe the well pump is the original. About five years ago I had to get a new tank, my old one had a pinhole leak in the bottom.

If I buy an AVC can I install it myself, after turning off power to the well and draining the tank? Or do you recommend that it's done by a professional?

Thanks again.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Valveman -- thank you very much for your response, and your summary of my setup which sounds exactly correct. I don't want to jinx it but my home was built in 1986 and I believe the well pump is the original. About five years ago I had to get a new tank, my old one had a pinhole leak in the bottom.

If I buy an AVC can I install it myself, after turning off power to the well and draining the tank? Or do you recommend that it's done by a professional?

Thanks again.

You can do it yourself. Just sometimes they are hard to unscrew because of the rust. And if the float on the AVC has fallen off inside the tank, it will need to be fished out, or it will eventually plug the outgoing waterline.

Too much air, because of a bad AVC is better than too little air because of a bad bleeder, check valve, or Schrader valve. At least the pump is not rapid cycling, even though the extra air will blow a glass out of your hand at the faucet.

Those type systems work great as long as they are working properly. Just keep an eye on the air volume if you want that pump to last a little longer. And don't expect the new tank to last as long as the old one. They don't make tanks as good as they use to.

Gvalley

Reaction score
Hi Valveman. Thanks a lot for your help! I am unable to find this F93H-1 locally, through mail order, and JC says they don't have any until mid April.

Can you suggest an alternative that will fit the tank, and work the same way? The drip is getting faster, losing about 1 quart every 8 hours.

Thanks!

Gvalley

Reaction score
Hi. Just a quick follow-up. The drip escalated to about 5 gallons every 12 hours! I order that AVC you mentioned, hoping it would get here in time. I contacted my plumber who said to tap on the AVC with a hammer, not too hard. I did that, and the leak stopped instantly. Something was hung up I guess. Likely from when he was here before and the talk got low, then filled up, or something!! But I'm happy now. No more drip.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I just had to open this when I heard the guy's Johnson was dripping. Thought he was way in the wrong forum. Buy yeah, hit your Johnson with a hammer, and it will definitely stop dripping. Somedays I think my float is stuck too, but can't find a replacement and pray it don't fall in the toilet soon!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks