Drip under bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

johnjward

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I know nothing about sinks or plumbing so hence here I am. Yesterday I was plunging my bathroom sink because it was clogged up. Afterwards I noticed that under the sink there was water. A hole at the bottom of the sink is where it's coming from. I assume the hole has a purpose but I have no clue what it's for and why it's dripping water. It just does about one drip every 60-90 seconds.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Like I said, I know nothing about this so hopefully this doesn't seem like a dumb question.

Thanks!

johnjward-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That hole is there so the sink didn't blow up when it was fired in the kiln...that hollow area needed a way for the expanding hot air to go versus raising the pressure and breaking something.

Assuming the sink is made well, there should be no path from the working part of the sink to there. Plunging may have forced some water there through the overflow path where you wouldn't have had an issue.

If it continues, you have a problem. If it stops, unless you plunge it again, you probably won't.

FWIW, that rubber connection with the hose clamps is not something that should be there and maybe part of the reason why the sink clogged. Can't see the rest of the plumbing drain, so there may be more wrong in there as well.

johnjward

Reaction score
That hole is there so the sink didn't blow up when it was fired in the kiln...that hollow area needed a way for the expanding hot air to go versus raising the pressure and breaking something.

Assuming the sink is made well, there should be no path from the working part of the sink to there. Plunging may have forced some water there through the overflow path where you wouldn't have had an issue.

If it continues, you have a problem. If it stops, unless you plunge it again, you probably won't.

FWIW, that rubber connection with the hose clamps is not something that should be there and maybe part of the reason why the sink clogged. Can't see the rest of the plumbing drain, so there may be more wrong in there as well.

Thank you very much for the reply, I really appreciate the help. I'll keep an eye on it today and if it continues I'll let you know with an additional picture of the plumbing pipes. The wife and I bought the house last year and a few things in the house are Mickey Moused, so I'm not surprised that the rubber connection shouldn't be there.

Thank you again. I really appreciate the feedback. Have a good day.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks