Drip Legs On Gas Lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
here in sf we are forced to put in more drip legs than anywrere.
this is there amendements in addition to the upc. in removing old ones i,ve yet to find debrea! what,s your thoughts on this please . thanks Tool

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
In my area the Gas/Utility company will tell you that their gas is so clean that you can 90 right into any appliance. Well that might be the case but it is what the gas runs through before it gets to your appliance is what can cause harm. I don't know how many times I have removed drip legs to spin a tee off for a gas water heater replacement and find oil buildup coming out of the bottom of drip leg. I can imagine what that oil would do to that fine screen in the gas valve. Let alone catch debri. Oil being the threading oil used on site to cut pipe and put it up. As far as debri though alone, I haven't seen many screens clogged either, the oil is what I would be worried about if I cut numerous cuts heading downwards toward the gas valve. Paper towels work good though if you stick them in the ends after cutting.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
drip legs

Also dust and dirt, dead insects and spider webs can migrate to the inside of pipe being stored and transported.

drip-leg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumguy

Reaction score
Here it is called a "sediment trap" and must be installed on the inlet of all appliances except clothes dryers,ranges,outdoor grilles and illuminating appliances. They also cannot be installed outside in case they were to collect condensate and freeze. In all the ones I have removed I have never seen a spec of dirt or drop of water.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods drip legs have been required forever.

Way back in the day, some of the underground gas mains in Minneapolis were hollowed-out wooden logs (1870's). Back then we didn't have natural gas, rather 'manufactured' gas from coal. Because of the wooden mains, water vapor was added to the gas to keep the wooden logs 'swelled'-wet gas.

The wet gas was used until the mid 1930's, until natural gas pipelines were run.

Back in the day, the drip leg was a necessity to catch water and crud, and it needed regular cleaning.

Nowdays, drip legs are still required on all appliances.

As far as what gets caught in them, I most often see thread oil and dirt.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
wow!! Sounds like wooden logs hallowed out for the city water main, lol!

Tool, a dirt pocket for each change in direction??? That one sounds absurd EVEN for sf :), talk about taking the code too far... in my opinion

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks