Drip Irrigation system often leaks at barb connections to mainline

Users who are viewing this thread

Flapper

Reaction score
For some reason the connection between the barbs to the mainline tends to leak. I've got some connections dripping water where I don't want it to drip. What causes it? I suspect leaking connections are caused by a rough hole. How do I fix it? I can only think of just flowing some sealant or something around the connection.

0T2gFux.jpg

Reaction score
I've always been a big fan of Teflon tape. I agree that a rough hole or nicked plastic thread are a likely culprit.

Flapper

Reaction score
I've always been a big fan of Teflon tape. I agree that a rough hole or nicked plastic thread are a likely culprit.
There's no threads, these are barbed fittings that snap into the hole.
35ea013b-5a0f-4709-9450-4198894d8269_1000.jpg
But still do you think sealant tape would help? If I pulled the barb out, and wrapped tape on the barb, and put it back in, you think it would stop the leak? Maybe pipe dope would work too.

Reaction score
But still do you think sealant tape would help? If I pulled the barb out, and wrapped tape on the barb, and put it back in, you think it would stop the leak? Maybe pipe dope would work too.

Without threads I doubt the Teflon tape would work. For flexible connections I'm not really a fan of silicon sealant, but given the way the barb attaches I think I would go that route over pipe dope. The silicon will cure to a stable state much quicker than pipe dope. If you examine it and conclude it really is a rough hole you also may be able to use a grommet, providing you can find one small enough to fit the hole, and thin enough for the barb to pass through without further deforming the hole. If the hole is damaged you might also search around and see if you can find a threaded fitting that could be threaded into the existing hole, then back that up with a layer of Teflon tape. Since you mention that there are more than one barb leaking I'd guess that it might be a quality control issue in the way that the holes are punched/drilled.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks