Drip heard on opposite side of house from source

Users who are viewing this thread

Rosetta

Reaction score
Hi, when I run water in second floor shower I can hear a drip in the wall on the opposite side of the house. The only plumbing on the drip side is the meter, the kitchen sink and a hose bib outside, which exits the basement directly off the meter. Line from meter goes first up to kitchen then continues to water heater on opposite side of basement and up to first floor bath and second floor bath. I ran water with the drain stopped so I don't think it is the drain. It seems like to far of a run to make it from one end of the house to the other and there is no ductwork on that side of the house to drip from. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Only when you run hot water? Might just be the (copper) pipes rubbing against the floor joists as they cool down. Copper expands as it warms up. When it cools, it contracts again. This will make a ticking sound that resembles a water drip.

I have that in my house. Been like that for 15 years and still drives me crazy!

Rosetta

Reaction score
Only when you run hot water? Might just be the (copper) pipes rubbing against the floor joists as they cool down. Copper expands as it warms up. When it cools, it contracts again. This will make a ticking sound that resembles a water drip.

I have that in my house. Been like that for 15 years and still drives me crazy!

Thanks for responding! The water lines go straight up from basement to the upstairs bathroom on the opposite side of the house from where the drip noise is. There are no waterlines upstairs on that side of the house, only to first floor kitchen and hose bib.

Rosetta

Reaction score
Thanks for responding! The water lines go straight up from basement to the upstairs bathroom on the opposite side of the house from where the drip noise is. There are no waterlines upstairs on that side of the house, only to first floor kitchen and hose bib.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depends a lot on how big your house is. If its the size my GF's at 325sqft then I could imagine that.. but if its a lot bigger it would be a stretch got get water to the other side. But... water does all manner of weird things when it leaks. I would try a process of elimination.. Run the hot in a sink in the same bathroom as the suspect shower, let it run for a good 15-20 minutes, same or similar time as a shower .. test for sound then try just the cold water in the same sink in the same manner. Then try running only cold in the shower. Then run the shower normal.

Reach4

Reaction score
Water meters can make noise, but that would not just be during showers.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Are you sure the hot water from the heater to the shower doesn't go through the kitchen side first?

If you have access to the pipes in the basement, run some hot water in the shower and then touch the pipes to see what's hot and what's not.

Your water supply lines are pressurized. So if there's a leak, they'd leak all the time.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What type of water heater or boiler you have? Is it on that side of the home? Condensation maybe forming inside the metal chimney or flute and its dripping since it's only went you run hot water and kicks on the furnace, boiler or WH and it exhaust through the roof.

You can get a steathocsope for $15 online or for $5 at Harbor Freight a mechanic's stethoscope and put it to the walls or ceiling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks