Drilling kitchen sink vent up through open web truss

Users who are viewing this thread

Masonry321

Reaction score
Hi, i am remodeling my kitchen and removed our old soffits and have discovered the kitchen sink vent goes through the soffit. I have attached a picture as well.

We have open web trusses, and they are approximately 3" wide. The vent is 1.5 inch PVC.

I am just trying to figure out what options for relocation there may be. It really only needs to be moved up into the truss, then the soffit will be completely open. Can a hole be drilled up through an open web truss?

Thanks
Picture.sized.jpg

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Trusses are designed very close to the limit of the loads. Drilling holes in truss members is dangerous. Drilling holes of any significant size through the chord of a truss essentially destroys it.

What is shown in the picture appears to be a filler supported on a bearing wall. I can't be sure of that because I can't see all of the structure. There is no diagonal going to the left of the vertical member. The real truss appears to go to the right of the picture from the vertical member.

Masonry321

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. does this new picture help anymore?

the wall the joist is against is a common wall between two townhomes

The vertical 2x4's are wall studs

thanks

Picture_003.sized.jpg

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
drill a hole through the top plate then offset it around the truss, up in the cieling

Masonry321

Reaction score
winslow said:
drill a hole through the top plate then offset it around the truss, up in the cieling

sorry, i guess i'm not following 100%.

what i want to do is follow the black arrow in the pic below. does that seem reasonable? it would go through the top plate and then through the joist, but it would avoid the main truss part? Thanks!

Picture_copy.sized.jpg

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
No, I wouldn't, you will be going through the truss.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks