Drilling hole for Closet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill Murphy

Reaction score
I am moving a toilet and putting in a tile floor. The new flange hole will need to go through porcelain tile, then hardibacker, then subfloor. Will my Diamond hole saw go through all three types of material?

Reach4

Reaction score
You are looking to drill a 5+ inch hole in porcelain tile plus little clearance holes for the screws? That sounds difficult.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Diamond will cut anything known to man, but the quality of the diamond tool and your technique can affect how easy and clean that will be.

Using a diamond hole saw is more like grinding a hole rather than using a hole saw on wood. Using say a diamond cup on a grinder won't produce as clean of a hole, but it should be covered by the toilet. Once you're through the tile, you could pry/crack that out, and use a wood holesaw to finish through the subflooring. 5" would only be called for with a 4" pipe (4.5" OD, then plus the flange socket unless you're using an inside one).

Diamond tools come in dry and wet versions...if you try a wet one dry, you may not make it through the tile. On a wet one, you'll need a pretty significant drill motor to churn through tile with a hole that big.

Most of the time, people try to cut the tile before setting it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks