Drilling 2x8 rough sawn joists for 3" DWV pipe for toilet drain

Users who are viewing this thread

ColinMcM

Reaction score
Plumbing 9:18:20.jpg

Thanks again guys. here's a drawing with dimensions and notes. I moved the toilet location I was originally asking about to simplify the plumbing. Now it looks to me like fitting it in the beam web space and using top mount weld-on hangers will work. the hangers I need are custom but Simpson can make them up for about $15 each. Working with the drainage in that beam space will have to happen after the beam goes in and my plumber will have to work in a tight area from below off a ladder, fitting the pvc in between the ends of floor joists and the beam. I was thinking I could stick a loose length of 3" pvc in the beam as it's being raised into position, so that it's there ready when we need it. Basically wondering if you think this is a viable plan or if I'm off my rocker!?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Preloading the 3" beam with PVC pipe should work if you can protect it during the lift and the welding.

Your drawing seems to show a 16' transverse run from the purple toilet to the existing stack, but the text talks about only running 6'. Do you have a different solution for the other 10'? I take it there are no transverse walls below which you could build as 2x6 to run the 3" pipe in?

It looks like the run from the purple toilet to the existing stack is about 7'-8' parallel and 15'-16' transverse. I think the horizontal centerline of the closet bend outlet is going to be at least 4-1/2" below the finish floor (maybe there's a more compact option). If your floor buildup is 1-1/2", that's 3" below the subfloor. A 24' run at 2% is another 6" of fall, so you'd be 9" below the subfloor, or outside of the floor joists.

Connecticut uses the IPC, which does allow 1% slope on a 3" pipe. You'll need to do that if you want the pipe fully within the floor system.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks