Dressler coupling, Help identify fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Cscjjd

Reaction score
Hi, I need help identifying some of the components on my main water supply line into my house.
Here's what I know:
#1: 7/8 o.d. copper going into the house
#3: short length of the same
#4: cutoff valve installed in 2018
Here's where I need help identifying the type of fitting (I think all of these were placed in 2018 as part of the cutoff valve installation).
(Closeup photos are shown below first photo).
#2: I need to verify type of fitting please (I think it is made out of metal).
#5: Short metal piece (maybe copper or brass) about 1" o.d. apparently with male thread on left end (into valve). The end on the right goes into #6 which is appx. 1" PVC (coming from water meter).
#6: I need to know about this fitting (see closeup please).
Thanks!

overall view.jpg

closeup of #2.JPG

closeup of #3,4,5,6.jpg

Cscjjd

Reaction score
Thank you James. #2 appears that the housing is metal. Is it likely that it contains metal ferrules (which may necessitate cutting the copper tubing to remove) or might it have nylon/plastic compression rings that can just be slipped off to remove?

Reach4

Reaction score
That valve doesn't look to be in good condition to me.
I don't know what #6 is. Is it plastic?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you James. #2 appears that the housing is metal. Is it likely that it contains metal ferrules (which may necessitate cutting the copper tubing to remove) or might it have nylon/plastic compression rings that can just be slipped off to remove?
The housing looks galvanized, but it could be brass, you just unscrew the ends and slip it off. The "ferrules" on those couplings are always neoprene rubber. Because of its age the neoprene is probably shot so you need to go buy another one, preferably with a brass housing. Unless your redoing the whole setup.

Last edited:

Cscjjd

Reaction score
That valve doesn't look to be in good condition to me.
I don't know what #6 is. Is it plastic?
I agree with you about the valve. #6 is connected to 1" PVC but I'm trying to find out what kind of fitting #6 is. Thanks.

Cscjjd

Reaction score
The housing looks galvanized, but it could be brass, you just unscrew the ends and slip it off. The "ferrules" on those couplings are always neoprene rubber. Because of its age the neoprene is probably shot so you need to go buy another one, preferably with a brass housing. Unless your redoing the whole setup.
Thank you James. That's what I was wondering about.
p.s. still trying to find out what kind of fitting #5-6 is if anyone can help

Fitter30

Reaction score
1 3/4" copper
2 compression sleeve
3 & 5 brass 3/4" screwed pipe nipples
4 3/4" screwed ball valve if replaced ask for full port
6 not enough expose could be wrought brass x 3/4" sweat adaptor

Cscjjd

Reaction score
Wow, great help folks.
So, are the following two conclusions correct?

a. The compression coupling should be considered a temporary repair (since the neoprene may be worn out after 3 or 4 years). It should eliminated from the whole setup or be replaced with something else (what)?

b. If I loosen/remove the compression coupling then I can unscrew and remove #3-4 from #5 and unscrew and remove #5 from #6.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wow, great help folks.
So, are the following two conclusions correct?

a. The compression coupling should be considered a temporary repair (since the neoprene may be worn out after 3 or 4 years). It should eliminated from the whole setup or be replaced with something else (what)?

b. If I loosen/remove the compression coupling then I can unscrew and remove #3-4 from #5 and unscrew and remove #5 from #6.
They aren't considered temporary. You just can't reuse the seals.

I would ge rid of it for something better. Many options. The best would be install a vault that is accessible and protected from the elements. Flared connections are a common and good solution for these assemblies.

Cscjjd

Reaction score
Thanks John. I agree about the accessibility and protection issues. The current setup is far from ideal.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am a fan of ball valves but not in the ground or other moist location unless the handle is stainless steel, otherwise they will corrode and can break off.

Cscjjd

Reaction score
I am a fan of ball valves but not in the ground or other moist location unless the handle is stainless steel, otherwise they will corrode and can break off.
Yes. I am surprised at how bad the valve handle looks after just 3 years or so. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks