Drake vs. Drake II on frequent clogging toilet

Drake or Drake II?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

jgatl

Reaction score
Have had numerous problems with an older toilet (Kohler K4590 Portrait, 1998) and am going to replace with either a Drake or Drake II. Plumber came to resolve a clogging issue and recommending replacing toilet due to age. He scoped the line and said there were numerous turns and tie ins, but that there were no blockages. FWIW, the PVC waste line takes one turn before dropping 2 stories down before tying into the line going out.

I'm not sure whether I should get the higher 1.6G Drake or the 1.26G Drake II. This toilet isn't the highest used one in the house (#1 is on main level and is a Toto Clayton 1.6G), but as a remote location, it gets used as the solid waste location. The Drake II with the $100 rebate ends up being about $50 less than the Drake, but I don't want to end up buying another problem. I have a AS Cadet 3 in the other upstairs bath which has performed well, but I've read Terry's post about the AS quality issues, so I'm going with the Toto. Thanks in advance for advice

portrait-k3591-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jgatl

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, that was my guess, so thank you for confirming. I've read a lot of the posts on this forum about the Drake II and noticed that you recommended it numerous times.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The improved bowl wash on the II series is a benefit. Much of the difference between 1.6 and 1.28g is how closely they calibrated the refill to prevent any excess water being used. They perform quite similarly from people that have both in their home. Going much smaller can still work, but the water spot size then also needs to become smaller so that the smaller volume can be evacuated - you don't want anything left behind, so at most, you've got that volume in the bowl when you start. You can move a surprising amount with good engineering and just a little water, but it becomes harder to keep the bowl clean. The II series does help.

jgatl

Reaction score
You can move a surprising amount with good engineering and just a little water, but it becomes harder to keep the bowl clean. The II series does help.
Thanks Jim. I have a follow-up question. You said that it becomes harder to keep the bowl clean, even though the Series II helps. Should I go with the original Drake if this toilet is primarily used for solid waste? Am I going to need to clean it several times a week since it's the "go-to" spot?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I just had my bathroom remodeled and the designer spec'd the Drake model and it performs with no problems. Both the Drake and Drake II are still sold and manufactured. The Drake II was needed to meet the 1.28 gal flush, not that the Drake was bad. High-efficiency toilets that use 1.28 gallons per flush or less can be certified under the EPA's WaterSense program and earn a homeowner who installs one a higher subsidy in some states and municipalities. New commercial or government contracts may require the WaterSence label on all plumbing fixtures.

https://www.epa.gov/watersense/residential-toilets

jgatl

Reaction score
The Drake II was needed to meet the 1.28 gal flush, not that the Drake was bad. High-efficiency toilets that use 1.28 gallons per flush or less can be certified under the EPA's WaterSense program and earn a homeowner who installs one a higher subsidy in some states and municipalities.

I did see that. The Drake II is $404 at retailers, and the Drake is $240. Even with the $100 rebate, The Drake II is $60 more. If it performs, I don't mind spending the extra money, I just want to be sure it will perform (not clog, minimal "skid marks", etc.) in a location where the primary use is solid waste. The skid marks/constant cleaning is my only open question right now.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The II series all come with their special, super smooth glaze. This makes it harder for things to stick to it. The fact that the water swirls around the bowl also helps remove skid marks. If family members regularly have that kind of issue, it might be good to consider some diet changes! A bit more roughage may be in order!

But, the original Drake can also be optioned with that special glaze, but it's not standard - it's optional. The original bowl wash doesn't cover as much of the bowl as well as the II design...there are numerous smaller holes under the rim. The II series has essentially no rim (so it's also easier to clean), and two jets that go out horizontally so they swirl down the sides of the bowl.

They both work, the II series works better from what I hear in feedback (mine are older, but do have that special glaze).

jgatl

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input. Drake II ordered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks