Drake or Eco Drake

Users who are viewing this thread

Baron

Reaction score
I'm finishing up my bathroom renovation and am ready to make a decision on a toilet purchase.

My decision is down to (2) toilets -- The Toto Drake or Toto Eco Drake.
It's probably going to be a round bowl -- standard height.

My house was built in 1982 and still had the original toilet (American Standard) -- The American Standard was definitely a two flusher and would clog frequesntly.

I like the idea of conserving water to a 1.28 GPF toilet -- but, I want to make sure I won't have any flushing problems like the original American Standard.

Just want to get any thoughts on performance between the Drake and Eco Drake.

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I've heard, they both use about the same water to flush, but the eco-drake is adjusted to have less overfill (that goes down the drain). So, the performance is essentially the same between the two.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
If you want you can purchase the E-Max and if you find it isn't flushing as well as you like you can remove the extra float from the flapper and you now have a G-max and if that is still not enough you can change to a Blue flapper allowing even more water to flush.

Flapper.JPG

Baron

Reaction score
Thanks

I think I'll give the Eco Drake a go.

I'll let everyone know how well I like it.

It's quite a savings in water compared to the 1.6 gallon.

Quick math:
If we flushed a 1.28 GPL toilet 10 times a day-- that would be:

.32 x 10 x 365 days = 1,168 gallons in savings compared to a 1.6 GPL.
&
1.72 x 10 x 365 = 6,387.5 gallons in saviings compared to a 3.0 GPL

CattleDog

Reaction score
EMAX flapper in ultramax

I see references to an Eco ultramax version and it looks like the same flapper as in the Eco Drake replacing the standard GMAX red flapper.

Has anyone tried replacing the flapper in an ultramax with the 1.28 gallon eco float version, and what has been your experience?

Thanks for any input.

Richard

tototoo

Reaction score
Eco Drake is great!

We had 2 elongated Eco-drakes installed last week. I was worried about the 1.2, since we were used to our 3.5 1986 toilets. The Eco-Drakes are fantastic, and flush so much better than our old toilets. Our water company is offering $150 rebate per Eco (but not the regular Drakes) which helped make our decision. Three of our neighbors have also bought Eco Drakes, and they are all happy with them.

We also like our dual-flush Aquia II, and are amazed by how well the .9 side flushes.

Last edited:

GramGram

Reaction score
Love Love Love the Eco-Drake

I think I forgot to mention in my other posts that my new toilet is an
Eco-Drake and it flushes like a dream....:)

milesjamie

Reaction score
Eco Drake -- 1 Month Later Report

My friends find it amusing that people spend hours talking about toilets. They just don't understand.

I opted for the round, non-elongated (basic) model. I read elsewhere on the board that the ADA model has greater matter movement, but my reasons for the round basic were personal preference and (round) that it had to fit a tight space where a door opens into the toilet area; every inch counts. I am pleased with this choice, and would go with a round basic in other non-space constrained b/rs.

Had a plumber do the install, which was a breeze for him (30 minutes to remove old leaking unit, dispose in truck, install new unit). He was happy I had picked a drake, but had not seen the eco model.

A few weeks later after use, I am very pleased. My wife thinks I'm weird, but I call it our wonder toilet. I have had no "skid marks" issues that another poster reported on this board, but (to use the home depot euphemism, which I found hilarious) this might have to do with the consistency of the golf balls that you put into your toilet.

The toilet always sounds like it won't make it -- as if on a normal toilet you had only lifted the flapper part way and closed it before it had a chance to make the full-open, but in practice it is absolutely efficient and (so far) has always done the job. I waited to post this until the family had a chance to kill it, and it seems to have survived quite well. We do not keep a plunger next to the unit and have not needed it so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron

Reaction score
Toto ECO Drake Installed

Just wanted to let everyone I installed my Toto ECO Drake this weekend.

Installation was a breeze.

It flushes incredibly well compared to my old Mansfield 3GPL -- it's like night and day between the two.

I'm really happy that I found this site -- it was invaulable in making the decision.

I was originally going to go to a Big Box store and get a Kohler, AS. etc..
but, thought I should do some research first -- glad I did.

Neotonic

Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone I installed my Toto ECO Drake this weekend.

Installation was a breeze.

It flushes incredibly well compared to my old Mansfield 3GPL -- it's like night and day between the two.

I'm really happy that I found this site -- it was invaulable in making the decision.

I was originally going to go to a Big Box store and get a Kohler, AS. etc..
but, thought I should do some research first -- glad I did.

Glad you like the EcoDrake. My Parents also have one, it replaced a 1970 Eljer Windsor. Its pretty cool.

The older american standards are not good at flushing. We have a 1985 AS Cadet, you have to double flush it alot.:rolleyes:

charred_water

Reaction score
I see the performance MaP for the Drake is 900 grams.

Can someone tell me what the performance is for the Eco Drake 1.28 GPF?

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks