Drake/Eco Drake and place of manufacture

Users who are viewing this thread

Loke

Reaction score
I lifted the tank lid on a Toto Drake at a local shop and noted that the tank was stamped inside as "made in Vietnam". For some reason I thought that North American Toto products were made in the US (I am in Canada). The flapper seemed more pink than red as in the Ultramax I also checked out. Is Vietnamese made usual for the Drake? Should I be concerned? The salesperson just said that toilets are made all over the word. (Yeah, I've heard about some Chinese ones...)

The salesperson also suggested that he didn't think that his company was still carrying the regular Drake - just the Eco Drake (not sure why as we don't live in a place with any requirements for low flush toilets). At any rate, it seemed to me that the model in the showroom was actually a round front regular Drake (at least it said 1.6gpf on it!).

Sure wish the prices up here weren't just about US suggested list price on Toto - and maybe wish I lived closer to Washington State!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure what countries and/or how many countries have manufacturing plants for Toto, but what is much more relevant is quality control. Even a plant in mainland China could produce quality products IF they had quality control that force them to produce top quality. We hear of all the crap that comes from third world countries, but sometimes we are surprised when some decent things come along. It's not geography than make the difference, it's the people in the driver's seat. Toto products maintain a very high quality standard regardless of country of manufacture.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gary is right.
It doesn't seem to matter with Toto.
They only put the good stuff in the boxes.
Maybe that's why they are number one, and the biggest plumbing company in the world.
I'm heading up to Canada this weekend to do some skiing.
I sell quite a bit of stuff to people in Canada. Monday it will be three toilets going to Victoria BC, they will be picking up here.

Loke

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - I am reassured.

Relatives in Victoria have Toto and are happy. We live two provinces east of BC so it's a bit far to make a quick trip to WA, unfortunately for us! And the car gas prices have just hit the equivalent of $4.61 per US gallon in my city.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks