drainpipe behind dishwasher blocking new install

Users who are viewing this thread

frank84

Reaction score
I'm replacing a dishwasher from the early seventies. The problem is the new Maytag MDB8959SBS dishwasher won't accommodate the drainpipe behind it. The motor is too low and to the left. Any recommendations on the most elegant solution?

Thanks for any advice.

frank84_1.jpg

frank84_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Mills

Reaction score
Any way to run the drain line to the kitchen sink drain or disposer? That water line is going to have to dealt with as well.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Commonly, the dishwasher is installed to one side of the kitchen sink, and the drain hose from the dishwasher tees in above the sink's trap. The water supply to the sink is also shared with the dishwasher.

sink_dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

frank84

Reaction score
Any way to run the drain line to the kitchen sink drain or disposer? That water line is going to have to dealt with as well.

I was hoping to keep this setup as is. Though should be fairly easy to run the drain line to the kitchen sink.

I am going to assume this setup is against code? Are you both suggesting to cap the drain behind the dishwasher?

As you can also see, there is also a separate water supply for the dishwasher, bottom left of pic. However the current dishwasher accommodates it just fine. Remove this as well?

Thanks for the assistance.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you have is not a proper DW connection. The drain on a DW must use either a high loop or an air gap. In either case, the drain line goes up to the counter and then into the sink drain line. I suggest you eliminate that contraption you have and follow local code for DW drain connection. Some areas allow the high loop, but some require the air gap. The air gap is always legal everywhere.

frank84

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I capped the drain behind the dishwasher, and am going to connect a drain (with an air gap fitting) to my sink drain line. I'm going to leave the water supply right where it is.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I capped the drain behind the dishwasher,

Good, because you not only had an "S" trap, but if the drain valve leaked you would not be able to keep water in the dishwasher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks