Draining the plumbing to avoid winter freeze

Users who are viewing this thread

penobscotman

Reaction score
Any advice on how to facilitate draining the supply system (copper) in a seasonal house to avoid winter freeze? Every fall I drain the system (pump off, taps open). In about thirty years I've had a couple of burst pipe incidents, which is not a lot, but every season I cross my fingers as I turn on the pump. The horizontal runs aren't pitched especially and there may be a few low spots.

I'm thinking of installing plugs here and there to let more of the water out.

Any more ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
Faucets or ball valves are going to be more convenient than caps when it comes time to open and close. Some people use an air compressor to blow water out quickly. Learn about RV antifreeze for drain traps and toilets.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'll second the air compressor. You should be able to force enough moisture out to prevent freezing and it isn't all that hard to make an adapter to screw onto a faucet to attach the air hose to so you can move it around to get each branch. The RV antifreeze for the traps will keep them from having problems, and keep sewer gasses, bugs, etc., out of the unit as well.

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
I have a cottage in northern Quebec where temps have gotten down to 40 below c or f it is the same at that temp.
Ever spring i start up the water pump from the lake and drain it in the fall. I have several hose taps installed at the lowest points. I have a good size air compressor that i use to blow out all the water lines repeatedly. I also empty all traps and fill with plumber antifreeze. Do not forget to put antifreeze in the pumps,dishwasher, clothes washer ect.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I vote with compressed air. A small air compressor is not expensive and devising a quick connect fitting is easy. While installing drain plugs/valves would probably work, it would be a lot of work to install and then if you missed a low spot, it would freeze. We blow our irrigation lines each fall to prevent freezing and your house lines are really no different in that respect.

penobscotman

Reaction score
I have a cottage in northern Quebec where temps have gotten down to 40 below c or f it is the same at that temp.
Ever spring i start up the water pump from the lake and drain it in the fall. I have several hose taps installed at the lowest points. I have a good size air compressor that i use to blow out all the water lines repeatedly. I also empty all traps and fill with plumber antifreeze. Do not forget to put antifreeze in the pumps,dishwasher, clothes washer ect.
We are in coastal Maine -- positively balmy by comparison! I routinely put antifreeze in the traps, although I've never done it to the clothes washer. Not sure how I would do that as the only water intake is via the hoses. It's a front-loader.

I have a compressor, but I'm stumped on how to devise an adapter to connect to a faucet. A hose bib, maybe, but a kitchen and bath faucet??

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Go to an auto parts house and get a quick connector set. Same stuff used to quick connect air hoses. Then regular pipe fittings to adapt. Not complicated at all. Places like Home Depot have all of the adapter you need, and may well have the quick connectors, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks