Draining Tank Lots Sediment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
molo said:
Can anyone explain what is causing the air spraying out of the hot and cold faucets for a few seconds before the water hits the faucet when they are turned on, also the rumbling occurs when the cold is on as well, so that seems to rule out the possibility of heat causing the rumbling sound, if the heat burners aren't on and the rumbling is still occuring, that's why I'm wondering if it's more of an air problem?

TIA,
Molo

Has anyone heard of this?

TIA,
Molo

Plumb or Die

Plumbing Instructor
Reaction score
Oh dear.....

I once replaced a gas fired hot water tank that had sympyoms like this. With the addition of steam coming out of the b-vent. The temp/pressure relief valve had plugged solid, and the water was actually boiling in the tank. The heat exchanger was pooched (CO2 poisoning) and the tank was starting to seep a bit. Somebody had also done some creative wiring so the high limit aquastat had been jumpered.

Replace your tank immediately. No home owner, or tradesman for that matter should be trying to nurse this sick tank back to health.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Plumb or Die said:
I once replaced a gas fired hot water tank that had sympyoms like this. With the addition of steam coming out of the b-vent. The temp/pressure relief valve had plugged solid, and the water was actually boiling in the tank. The heat exchanger was pooched (CO2 poisoning) and the tank was starting to seep a bit. Somebody had also done some creative wiring so the high limit aquastat had been jumpered.

Replace your tank immediately. No home owner, or tradesman for that matter should be trying to nurse this sick tank back to health.

150% agreed
I'd have run out of the house on that heater and killed the gas main.
I can't believe some of the things I see.
Trying to salvage a car with a rotted frame by replacing the tires, brakes and giving it a paint job won't stop it from falling apart on the highway.

Molo

Reaction score
The tank burner is turning on and off as it should. It is not hot air (steam) coming out of the faucets. Also, it's not as if the water is piping hot, I don't believe there is an overheat problem. Also, the TP valve was just checked a couple of weeks ago.
Symptoms:
1. There is air that sprays out of the faucets for a few seconds
2. Pipes bang hard when water is turned on.

Can anyone help me to understand what is going on here?

TIA,
Molo

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks