Draining softener into a sealed sump pit

Users who are viewing this thread

Smith333

Reaction score
I would like to add a water softener to my house, but my sump pit is sealed for a radon system. If I wanted the softener to drain to this sump pit, how could this be accomplished without breaking the seal? I was thinking I could add a standpipe with a trap, but I'm not sure if the trap would be sucked out over time by the radon fan. There is a separate sump pit for a floor drain but that drains to the septic, and I fear the brine will degrade the concrete septic tank. Any ideas?

Smith333

Reaction score
My idea is to use the radon exhaust pipe as the drain pipe and tie a 2" trap/standpipe into it as shown in the picture, using a 4x2 santee. I figure if I make the trap extra deep the radon fan will not be able to suck the water out of it and the seal would be maintained. Would this be a viable idea?View attachment 74849

Attachments

• IMG_0846.JPG
    IMG_0846.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 166

Smith333

Reaction score
I would install a dry well in the back yard if I can use the sump for the water softener. It currently terminates just outside the exterior wall because it's only run maybe 10 times in the last 35 years.

It would appear from the code that I can use a stand pipe and vaccuum break, but I don't know if tying into the radon exhaust pipe is legal, I can't find any reference to it.

Comm 82.33(5)(a)1.
1. Gravity flow indirect waste piping more than 30" in length shall be provided with a trap in accordance with s. Comm 82.32 (4), except indirect waste piping draining a sterilizer shall not be trapped.

Comm 82.33(7)
(7) AIR-GAPS AND AIR-BREAKS. All indirect waste piping and all local waste piping shall discharge by means of an air-gap or air-break into a receptor.

Comm 82.33(7)(a)
(a) Air-gap installation.
Comm 82.33(7)(a)1.
1. The distance of an air-gap between indirect waste piping one inch or less in diameter and the receptor shall be at least twice the diameter of the indirect waste piping.

Comm 82.33(7)(a)2.
2. The distance of an air-gap between indirect waste piping larger than one inch in diameter and the receptor shall be not less than 2" .

Comm 82.33(7)(b)
(b) Air-break installation. The air-break between indirect waste piping or local waste piping and the receptor shall be accomplished by extending the indirect waste piping or local waste piping below the flood level rim of the receptor and terminating at an elevation above the trap outlet.

Comm 82.33(8)
(8) RECEPTORS. A receptor receiving the discharge from indirect waste piping or local waste piping shall be of a shape and capacity as to prevent splashing or flooding. Receptors shall be installed in accordance with this subsection and shall be accessible.

Comm 82.33(8)(d)4.
4. The local waste piping serving a ... water treatment device ... may discharge into the riser of a floor drain when installed in accordance with sub. (7) (b).

Comm 82.33(8)(d)5.
5. The indirect or local waste piping serving a ... water treatment device... may discharge to a floor served by a floor drain so as not to create a health or safety hazard.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that radon fan DIY, or part of a certified radon remediation. If DIY, I think what you propose works.

I am not sure how you handle freezing. If the path to the dry well is steeper and larger, that should let water move through a freeze zone I would think. I would put a vacuum breaker at the high point indoors to let the water move right through rather than sitting in the pipe.

Smith333

Reaction score
Radon fan is DIY but done to code. What I cannot find is if the radon exhaust pipe can double as a drain pipe for the softener and pass an inspection when selling the house.

Smith333

Reaction score
Just as a folow-up, I think I've found the solution that won't require a stand pipe or result in code issues. It is called "Dranjer JS-15 Sump Drain"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks