Draining sink into vent pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

MJCMendonca

Reaction score
Have been reading this site for quite a while and it was absolutely brilliant when installing my Toto Aquia 2 toilet a while back.

This is my first post though...

I am working on a bathroom renovation upstairs and I am now working on converting my previous single sink plumbing to a new double sink setup. I opened the wall to see what I am looking at, and took a picture so that you could see it too. (please see picture below).

SinkDrain.jpg

My question is ... can I cut into the pipe on the left, which I believe is a vent (this is on the second floor and the attic is directly above this level) and run the drain for the left sink there? and leave the right pipe alone and plumb the right sink there?
Piping is all 1 1/2.

If that is not possible/recommended, would you please provide other options?

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Mo Mendonca
ON, Canada

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
No, it is the vent for the downstairs bath so it cannot be used as a drain. Offset it to the left and then connect the new sink to the existing drain line, but do it properly.

MJCMendonca

Reaction score
Thank you very much! I will offset the vent to the left and will cut out the santee on the right. From there the easier option would be to install a double santee and run from there. Would that work okay?
Also, not sure if it matters, but underneath this room I have the laundry. The main floor bath is fairly away from this location.

Thank you so much!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would NOT install a sanitary "cross" nor would our inspectors approve it. The proper fitting is a "back to back" fixture fitting. It is NOT a sanitary cross, nor is it a "double combo" but rather a fitting between those two. It eliminates the functional problems caused by using either of those two fittings.

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
Depending on what the vent on the left hand side is venting, then you could possibly cut into it and tee off for your second sink making it a wet vent. Bare in mind that a 1.5" went vent can only receive 2 fixture units (this doesn't include the most downstream fixture). If the vent is only venting one fixture (not including a toilet) then you could cut into it and make it a wet vent. This is permitted in Ontario.

MJCMendonca

Reaction score
Thank you very much for all the detailed information! You guys rock!
I believe the the left side pipe is venting the laundry sink - which is directly underneath this bathroom. But you just never know...

I did however, follow hj recommendation and moved the left side pipe out of the way (I added elbows and moved the line to the left) and used a back-to-back fitting (the guy in the store here called it long double tee) on the right pipe.

Again, thank you so very much!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks