Draining pipes & water heater back into well?

Users who are viewing this thread

dbump

Reaction score
I'm simplifying the plumbing at a mountain cabin while gutting a bathroom, and I'd like to streamline the winterizing process. One of the things I'm considering is draining the water heater back into the well. Is this crazy, or even possible? I'm not sure if the well will allow water to drain back into it, or if check valves in the well would prevent that. I'm only interested in not wasting 50 gallons of water each time I winterize--currently, our winter usage pattern is to use the cabin one or two weekends a month between November and April, and we winterize when we leave to save on heating costs. While the water is "free", I'd be much happier returning it to the deep water table than the shallow one.

Speaking of check valves, the current system has a check valve between the pressure tank and the rest of the indoor plumbing. It would make more sense to me if the check valve were instead between the pump and the pressure tank, so that once the pump has pressurized the tank, and shut off, the pressure tank isn't trying to force water back into the well. Obviously, this isn't actually happening (which is what makes me think I won't be able to drain back into the well), since the system works. What am I missing?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The amount of water you are saving is negligable compared to what is in the well. Dump it.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't bother, not worth the effort, and will make no difference when you turn on in the spring.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Remove the above ground check valve. There has to be one on the pump and that is the only one you need. If you place a bleeder orifice about 5 feet down in the well, when you turn off power to the pump and dump the water in the pressure tank, the bleeder will open and drain everything to that point.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have done this for years without any problems but, rshakleford is right. Anytime you put water back into a well you take the chance of starting some kind of contamination. Regular chlorine treatment of the well might be needed. Some states may not allow it but, others allow excess water to go back down the well as with a pressure relief valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks