Draining into Sump Pit

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it is installed properly, it's essentially like any sewer connection...you shouldn't smell anything because it should be vented, and a p-trap should prevent any smells from getting into the room. If there was not enough volume going into the trap, you might need a trap primer to keep it full, though. I would think that daily use would likely replace any that had evaporated.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
We use the same pump for laundry tray and slop sinks. The basin holds a couple of gallons and the pump empties the basin in 4-5 seconds. It has been a very reliable unit for us.

shanec

Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, for the recommendations. Unfortunately, I don't know if the drain pump option is going to work. I searched all last night and can't seem to find one that will support water temperatures up to 200 degrees. The Liberty 405 goes to 180 F, but I don't know if that is enough. I would guess this water would cool in the reservoir before hitting the pump and would likely be fine, but I am waiting to hear back from Liberty as to whether the reservoir could handle those temperatures. I suppose I could always dump some cold water down the drain before each espresso session to help cool things, but that is a bit of a pain.

I also don't know how I could easily vent the pump. Is a straight horizontal run to an existing vent 12-15' away acceptable for a vent pipe or does it need a slightly incline? Could I reduce the vent pipe from 2" down to something smaller (e.g., 1.5") or is that bad?

shanec

Reaction score
I hate to ask another question on top of my last post, but I have been thinking about this all morning as I have been trying to think of venting solutions. Is a vent even necessary here from the pump? I know the Liberty 404/405 has a vent port, but I am dealing with water, coffee grounds and maybe a little coffee cleaner that I run through the machine. There would obviously be a P trap on the drain line to keep that sewage gas out and I don't see any sewage gas being created by the output of my espresso machine. Can I just leave that vent hole open or attach a short PVC pipe to it and leave it exposed in the cabinet? I don't see how that would be different than just draining the effluent into a bucket in the cabinet. Thanks!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It is a plumbing fixture, and it is not my place to tell you how to do something that does not meet code. The inlet, outlet, and vent ports are all 1-1/2". Any type of a sealed basin needs a vent. When liquid flows into a basin, it must push the same volume of air out. When liquid is pumped out of the basin, air must be able to come in to replace that space. The vent must be installed using the same guidelines as any other plumbing vent.

It also might be worth mentioning that coffee grounds should not be allowed to go down any drain. It is not much different that pouring sand down the drain.

Some ideas are not worth the trouble it will take to execute them correctly. That is why I drink coffee from the coffeemaker in the kitchen. ;)

shanec

Reaction score
It is a plumbing fixture, and it is not my place to tell you how to do something that does not meet code. The inlet, outlet, and vent ports are all 1-1/2". Any type of a sealed basin needs a vent. When liquid flows into a basin, it must push the same volume of air out. When liquid is pumped out of the basin, air must be able to come in to replace that space. The vent must be installed using the same guidelines as any other plumbing vent.

It also might be worth mentioning that coffee grounds should not be allowed to go down any drain. It is not much different that pouring sand down the drain.

Some ideas are not worth the trouble it will take to execute them correctly. That is why I drink coffee from the coffeemaker in the kitchen. ;)
I appreciate your patience and expertise as I try to wrap my head around all my options. Maybe my best bet is to continue to just manually dump the drip tray as I do today. The only downside is that I am dumping that in the kitchen sink, meaning that some of these very fine coffee grounds are still making it into drain. Of course, the amount is very small and the grounds are so fine, that I think most people do this for 20+ years without issue.

It probably wouldn't be to code, but maybe going right out the wall to my plant bed would be the best bet! Many people save their coffee grounds for their flowers anyway. The cold weather in Chicago just scares me with freezing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks