Draining into Sump Pit

Users who are viewing this thread

shanec

Reaction score
Would it be a generally bad idea to drain an espresso machine drip tray into a sump pit? The drained contents would contain nothing other than water and very finely ground coffee grounds. Would this potentially risk eventually breaking the sump pump or causing other risky issues?

If that is not a good option, what about running the drainage directly out the wall to the outside of the house (into a plant bed)? I am in Chicago, so I don't know what that would mean for freezing considerations, etc. and how I would keep critters out.

I would also like any perspectives on whether either of these solutions would be against code and problematic if I eventually sell the home.

Thanks!

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
Normally any fixture or piece of equipment that may come in contact with food is required to be indirectly wasted through an air gap only. Not doing so could cause a severe health hazard.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could drain into a bucket. You could throw a slow-release pool chlorine tablet into the bucket if you have a problem with stuff growing.

So this is your private home, and not a restaruant? While probably not to code, your idea of draining into the sump pit would work OMO. Plan to take the espresso maker with you when you move.

shanec

Reaction score
Normally any fixture or piece of equipment that may come in contact with food is required to be indirectly wasted through an air gap only. Not doing so could cause a severe health hazard.
I was thinking I could create an air gap by having the direct drain hose coming from the espresso machine dropping into a separate drain pipe that then runs down through the floor to the sump pit. Something like the attached image.

IMG_2130.PNG

shanec

Reaction score
Normally it would be tied into another fixture drain, upstream of the trap.
Unfortunately, I don't have a drain that is close enough that I can use that would keep enough of a grade for this to drain properly. To tie it into the main waste for the home would require me to run it all the way across the house.

shanec

Reaction score
You could drain into a bucket. You could throw a slow-release pool chlorine tablet into the bucket if you have a problem with stuff growing.

So this is your private home, and not a restaruant? While probably not to code, your idea of draining into the sump pit would work OMO. Plan to take the espresso maker with you when you move.
A bucket is an option that I have considered, but is far from ideal. If I am going to drill a large hole in my countertop to do this work, I would prefer to have a solution that doesn't require any dumping of the waste, if possible.

Reach4

Reaction score
How much drip we talking here? Pints, quarts?
I am thinking maybe a quart per month for two regular coffee drinkers using an espresso machine. That presumes not using the drain for other purposes than what the machine would put down on its own.

shanec

Reaction score
I am thinking maybe a quart per month for two regular coffee drinkers using an espresso machine. That presumes not using the drain for other purposes than what the machine would put down on its own.
A little more with my usage because I flush before use, after use, and so some backflushing to clean the coffee oils from the machine. I also may dump a few ounces of hot water that I use to prewarm a cup. With all of that, it may amount to 2-4 cups (of mostly water) per day.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't have a drain that is close enough that I can use that would keep enough of a grade for this to drain properly. To tie it into the main waste for the home would require me to run it all the way across the house.

I would normally expect such an appliance to be placed in a kitchen or bar where there is easy access to a sink drain. If you have cups to wash, a small sink is really needed in the area.

A good option would be to plumb it to an undercounter drain pump, where the drainage would be pumped as far as it needs to go to a proper drain.
http://tinyurl.com/zo7ypfd

Last edited:

shanec

Reaction score
I would normally expect such an appliance to be placed in a kitchen or bar where there is easy access to a sink drain.
I have it located in a small room adjacent to the kitchen, about 14' from the kitchen sink. But, there is a microwave and an oven in the path that I would need to run the drain (with the proper grade) to reach the sink drain. I can route under the oven behind a drawer, but then there would be a dip in the drain path that would eventually clog (especially with coffee grounds running through it).

shanec

Reaction score
A good option would be to plumb it to an undercounter drain pump, where the drainage would be pumped as far as it needs to go to a proper drain.
http://tinyurl.com/zo7ypfd
Would this kind of pump be able to pump the water 15 or so feet, even if it was running horizontally and then needed a 1-2' rise at the end? I would worry with the low volume of water that the coffee grounds would end up getting stuck in the dips in the drain tube over time. Maybe the coffee grounds would even settle in the bottom of the pump reservoir and eventually cause issues. Again, I am completely unfamiliar with these pumps, so maybe I am worrying about nothing.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would put a shallow pan in the cabinet under the machine and route the effluent into it. Put four Maxi-Pads in the pan and flush them down your Toto once a month or when they turn green, whichever comes first. We appreciate the business.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The spec sheet on that pump says maximum of 20' head (rise, lots more horizontally). Given the small volume of water that goes into it, it would likely not need to run more than once a month! The problem might be its maximum inlet waste water temperature of 140-degrees. Finding one that could take nearly boiling water might be tough, but with the small volume going in, it would cool very rapidly, and may not be an issue, but I can't say for sure.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The spec sheet on that pump says maximum of 20' head (rise, lots more horizontally). Given the small volume of water that goes into it, it would likely not need to run more than once a month! The problem might be its maximum inlet waste water temperature of 140-degrees. Finding one that could take nearly boiling water might be tough, but with the small volume going in, it would cool very rapidly, and may not be an issue, but I can't say for sure.

I do not think much if any water will reach the pump at that temperature. PVC pipe is only rated for 140F, and it is installed in many commercial drain applications. It seems to me that it would take a steady flow of water at that temperature before it would be a concern.

shanec

Reaction score
Maybe I should put a valve in the pipe between the machine and the pump. I could let the waste water accumulate in the drip tray and the initial few feet of the drain pipe and then could open the valve when I have a few inches of water built up in the drip tray. That would take care of the hot water problem and would also ensure the pump doesn't flip on and off constantly from pumping out faster than the water is accumulating. It isn't ideal because it would still require manual work (unless I rig up a float switch that triggers an electrical valve), but it would be fairly easy to do. I could just drain it once per day when I am done having coffee as part of my cleanup routine.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The thing will wait until it's float valve trips it on, and that will mean it will nearly be full (max 4.3g). Once it turns on, it will nearly empty before it shuts off again. My mother has one of these in her basement to pump the outlet of her washing machine up to the sewer outlet. SO, at your small inlet volumes, it will take weeks in between when it will run. Given the head you have, it will only need maybe 10-seconds to empty the thing.

shanec

Reaction score
The thing will wait until it's float valve trips it on, and that will mean it will nearly be full (max 4.3g). Once it turns on, it will nearly empty before it shuts off again. My mother has one of these in her basement to pump the outlet of her washing machine up to the sewer outlet. SO, at your small inlet volumes, it will take weeks in between when it will run. Given the head you have, it will only need maybe 10-seconds to empty the thing.
That is good to know. I guess I just have to hope the water doesn't get really gross in there while waiting so long before pumping. I suppose it would never hurt to do some extra flushing of clean water down the drain to trigger the pump once in a while.

Are there maybe smaller pumps that perform a similar function for grey water? I am thinking of something closer to the size of a boat bilge pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks