Draining Heating System to Remove Radiator

Users who are viewing this thread

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
Draining Heating System to Remove Radiator?

:confused:I have a 2 zoned hot water baseboard radiator system in my 2 story home.

I had a new Weil Mclain boiler installed last year and asked that they add lots of shut offs so I can easily remove a radiator w/o draining the entire system. Shutoffs were also added to easily remove the expansion tank w/o draining the system..

My Problem - I want to remove a kitchen radiator. I know how to do the plumbing but I don't understand where to begin or what shut offs to use. This is not familiar territory for me - I don't even know which direction the water enters/exits the heating system.

Let me know if I should post pictures and if so, of what...

Thank you!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Both the circulator pump and any check valve(s) in the system will show water flow, usually with an arrow. Also, the boiler itself will usually have the input and output labled. If there's a shutoff at the radiator, it's on the inlet.

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
Here are pictures showing where shut offs are...

Can you tell me if I'm correct if I drain this way?

1st Pic - I'm assuming I'm draining from the blue shut off, the lower one I think drains the boiler itself and I don't need to do that...

2nd Pic - I'm closing off the right shutoff to the upstairs because I only need to drain the first floor...

3rd Pic - This looks like the main shutoff I need to shut off before starting. I think the brass fitting the main enters is for backflow...I don't understand what it's doing but the copper pipe extending down from it is opened, like a pressure relief valve on a hot water heater...I don't get it.

4th and 5th pic I threw in because there are more shut offs my head is spinning.

Does it look like I'm shutting the right shut offs?

Thank you - I don't know what I'd do w/o this forum...

Attachments

• IMG_2763.jpg
    IMG_2763.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_2764.jpg
    IMG_2764.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_2765.jpg
    IMG_2765.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_2767.jpg
    IMG_2767.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_2768.jpg
    IMG_2768.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 549

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I see valves on the return side but I don't see any on the feed side. Also the way the circulators are set up they are working against each other.

John

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
Can someone answer my shut off questions? Do I have the right sequence? I know you plumbers out there don't want me to mess up...

:)

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You are right in the valves you a turning off to drain the system but if there are no valves on the feeds you will drain the entire system.

John

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the feed side. I thought buy shutting off the valve for the 2nd zone would block that water from draining? Sorry this is hard for me to understand.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks