Draining freestanding tub inside shower

Users who are viewing this thread

houndzilla

Reaction score
I've been all around the internet trying to solve this problem, the plumbers I've talked to in person haven't been much help. I'm doing a large walk-in shower with a freestanding tub. This is over a slab on grade so there is no access from below.

I'm using Schluter Kerdi all through my shower/tub for waterproofing. I'm going for a euro look tub in shower feel. Issue is I'm not having much confidence in how to properly drain the tub and flash the membrane around it.

At first I was going to see if could use Schluter drain and somehow figure out a way to thread the tub drain into modifications that are set into the kerdi drain.

Then I found the OS&B island tub drain - recommended from a couple sources (architectural product rep, and /r/plumbing on Reddit.) I spoke with an OS&B technical rep and he explained how this flange can be flashed to membrane waterproofing, but it doesn't have weeps so any water that gets in the trough area is gonna sit there. Not crazy about that because it's epoxy coated steel. So they recommend you seal around the tub very well.

I come here and find not great things said about this product here - and that post was recently referenced by Terry by someone asking a similar question.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/free-standing-tub-drain-connection.57193/#post-421096

I'm using a Hydrology Still tub, it weighs ~375 lbs dry... I don't think it need anti-tip clips due to it's weight. http://www.hydrologychicago.com/collections/hydrology-cloud/transitional-still-freestanding-bathtub

Guys, I don't know. This shouldn't be such a hard thing to figure out. What do you all think?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks