Drainage question on washing machine?

Users who are viewing this thread

slyee07

Reaction score
I have a 1' vertical drain pipe behind my washing machine which the drain hose just fit over it with a hose clamp and was fine for about 6 yrs until the washing machine died. Bought a new LG and it has a 1" drain hose. I went to Home Depot and the head plumbing guy gave me a 3/4" female adapter the you push into the drain hose and it tapers down to 1/2". Also, a adapter that is 1 1/16" that fits over my thin walled drainage pipe and he said to glue that on then the two adapters screw together. I took pics on my smalled setting on my phone but too large still to attach here. Anyhow, my concern is that the new machine will be draining water thru the drain pipe with the adapter inserted and the end of the adapter where the water enters is 1/2" then opens to 1" I had no problems with the old hose draining into the 1" pipe (2"is code I understand) but I don't want to put wear and tear on my new machines pumps if it is working hard to push water out. I am thinking to just hire a plumber to bring the drain pipe to 2" but I had the house re plumbed 14yrs ago and never knew to question him about it. It has always worked fine before but I can't remember the first machine I had hooked up and how before this last one. Advice is greatly appreciated:)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
DO NOT secure the drain line to the drain pipe. Revise the drain line so it works by gravity. Also, do NOT, use a Home Depot "aisle guy" as a reference for plumbing work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks