Drainage Fixture Units & RV Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

TedO

Reaction score
This is ultimately about a 1968 RV I'm restoring but hopefully has enough plumbing concepts to qualify the forum. Since I haven't found anything to tell me otherwise, I'm trying to follow residential codes/best practices as much as possible in redoing the plumbing. Due to space constraints and for other reasons that would take a lot of explaining, I need to run all of the "greywater" together into one pipe for a few feet. Unless I'm not understanding something, if this was a residential application, any combination other than the lavatory/shower or lavatory/kitchen sink would require 2'' drain pipe. It would be MUCH easier to use 1-1/2'' for all three combined. So, I'm hoping someone can advise me on whether I have the code requirements right and also what would be best in terms of how it functions. The 2'' version could be done. It would be great to have a valid reason for why I don't have to. Thanks in advance.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can only have 3 drainage fixture units on an 1-1/2" drain. A lav is 1 d.f.u. and a sink or shower is 2 d.f.u., which adds up to 3 d.f.u.'s. if you add another sink your over the limit.

Last edited:

TedO

Reaction score
OK - thanks. It seems pretty straightforward. I'm curious why a full bath group with <1.6 gal. WC is 5 f.u. Do they not include the lavatory? Otherwise seems like it would WC, shower and lav, which would be 3+2+1. I'm wondering how they arrive at caveats like that.

TedO

Reaction score
OK - thanks. Families with little kids and only one bathroom might argue with that, but I get it.

TedO

Reaction score
Thanks hj. Agreed. You inspired me to find this (not sure why it's taken me so long): "NFPA 1192: Standard on Recreational Vehicles, 2018." It has a detailed section on plumbing. I haven't read it word for word, but so far the only reference I can find on drain pipe sizing related to my question is: "Drain pipe sizes shall be determined by the type of fixtures and the total number connected to each drain." Not very helpful by itself. When hooked up to "city water" I think the amount of water entering drains in a RV would be the same as in a residence. So unless I find something more specific, residential codes seem like the best guide.

TedO

Reaction score
Just found this under "Drainage Piping": "One and one-quarter inch (32 mm) minimum diameter piping shall be required for one and not more than three individually vented fixtures." If I'm reading that right, having three fixtures on a 1-1/4'' drain pipe just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Does anyone else have an opinion on that?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I looked all over hell online for information on RV plumbing and this is all I could come up with.

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 161
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks