Drain water disappearing

Users who are viewing this thread

billingw

Reaction score
Both water softener and iron filter drain into the basement floor drain, which is about 10ft from my sump pit. The drain tile inflow is negligible due to little rain this year. The only inflow to the sump comes from a basement dehumidifier and the central AC - drop by drop... No other water is entering the sump. So what's the problem, you say? The water softener and iron filter put about 1,000 gallons of water into the floor drain every week and none of it winds up going to the sump, as it always has! There is another floor drain about 4ft from the first drain and if I pour water down it I can see it quickly flows into the sump. Where is the missing water going??? I will mention that when the house was built about 60 years ago by a previous owner, "something" prompted the builder to put a second basement floor over the first floor - we have an 8in thick basement floor...

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Both water softener and iron filter drain into the basement floor drain, which is about 10ft from my sump pit. The drain tile inflow is negligible due to little rain this year. The only inflow to the sump comes from a basement dehumidifier and the central AC - drop by drop... No other water is entering the sump. So what's the problem, you say? The water softener and iron filter put about 1,000 gallons of water into the floor drain every week and none of it winds up going to the sump, as it always has! There is another floor drain about 4ft from the first drain and if I pour water down it I can see it quickly flows into the sump. Where is the missing water going??? I will mention that when the house was built about 60 years ago by a previous owner, "something" prompted the builder to put a second basement floor over the first floor - we have an 8in thick basement floor...

You've said it goes to the sump , and also that it does not go to the sump.
If it goes to sump and then the level drops then it means its leaking, I'd most certainly besides testing reroute the drain to a leakfree sump. until repairs are done 1000 gallons a week under house is something serious
definitely get busy today!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Put a garden hose into the floor drain for the water softener and iron filter and let it rip. See if water shows up anywhere or it backs up. There might be drainage pipe under the concrete to allow ground water to flow to the sump. Your drain may be draining into this pipe system and into the ground.

I doubt your using a 1000 gallons of water a week on regenerations. How many days a week do you to regen?

Last edited:

billingw

Reaction score
You've said it goes to the sump , and also that it does not go to the sump.
If it goes to sump and then the level drops then it means its leaking, I'd most certainly besides testing reroute the drain to a leakfree sump. until repairs are done 1000 gallons a week under house is something serious
definitely get busy today!
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the confusion. All of that water goers down the floor drain hole and literally disappears. - evry bit of i! It used to simply flow right into the sump pit 10ft away. I believe that the sump pit is not leaking at all.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
AC condensate is corrosive. Buildings built 60 yrs ago would generally have Cast Iron in the groundworks which don't like corrosives. If the water hasn't been neutralized I would imagine the Trap has been disintegrated.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I thought condensate from a furnace was corrosive . but A/C was just water. but regardless the drain is no longer in practical terms connected to the sump or water would be flowing there. you could try snaking, Is this something you would tackle yourself?

billingw

Reaction score
I thought condensate from a furnace was corrosive . but A/C was just water. but regardless the drain is no longer in practical terms connected to the sump or water would be flowing there. you could try snaking, Is this something you would tackle yourself?
nope!

billingw

Reaction score
Put a garden hose into the floor drain for the water softener and iron filter and let it rip. See if water shows up anywhere or it backs up. There might be drainage pipe under the concrete to allow ground water to flow to the sump. Your drain may be draining into this pipe system and into the ground.

I doubt your using a 1000 gallons of water a week on regenerations. How many days a week do you to regen?
7 days for iron filter and 3 for softener

billingw

Reaction score
AC condensate is corrosive. Buildings built 60 yrs ago would generally have Cast Iron in the groundworks which don't like corrosives. If the water hasn't been neutralized I would imagine the Trap has been disintegrated.
well, the a
well, the ac condensate drips into the concrete sump via pvc and the sump pumps send it away to sewer via pvc

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Camera the line.

But call a pro. They have cameras that you can actually use to inspect the pipe. Unless you are the world's most patient person a cheap camera won't cut it.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like op wants a little info for when he gets a pro. mentioned not doing the work himself. I wouldn't invest in camera if not doing any of work. a break in the system, the soil has collapsed it sounds to me , perhaps combined with plugged line.
I'd probably blast a hose down the drain , and see if any goes to the pit, or if it backs up

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks