Drain Tile layout and install, Northern IL

Users who are viewing this thread

lj973gm

Reaction score
Looking to improve on the current homes drainage system. There are two pits currently one with no drain tile just a hole in the bottom and another pit which has about 25 feet for drain tile. Previous homeowner thought the additional pit and limited drain tile would solve the problem. He was a bit wrong.

Here is the current layout. Existing pit in right corner new pit in left corner with sad attempt at drain tile. Located in about 40 minutes from Chicago. Home was built about 1960.

973gm-01.jpg

Need some help on proper layout to get it right the first time. I would like to know if I need to follow the footing all the way around or if it is common to not follow the footing where a bumpouts exist due to the footprint of the home.

Here are a couple more images with proposed layout of drain tile.

This one shortcuts the bump outs. Will require more work due to well tank softener among other items being in the way and need to be removed to cut floor.

973gm-02.jpg

This layout would follow basement perimeter all the way around.

I plan to keep both pits but go with larger ones to reduce cycling time on the pumps and so if one quits another might be able to help since they will be connected.

Install of drain tile itself was to look as follows. Please let me know if anything should be added or changed. I have seen the new formed plastic pieces that butt up to the edge of the foundation but they seem to be installed by the basement waterproofing contractors only. If I can source the formed channels are they superior to the more common 4" drain tile setup?

973gm-03.jpg

but using SDR35 with perforated holes and mesh covering.

The only other question I had is it typical to break up the concrete above the footing and install the corrugated plastic to let the wall weep water into the draintile incase the foundation wall forms a crack?

Is it incorrect to just cutout a 12" wide path just inside the footing ledge and lay in the drain tile and not breakup the cement above footing and negate the corrugated plastic and poly on the wall.

If I am not clear in my question please ask and I will do my best to clear up my shortfalls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It would be pretty common where you are and at the time of construction for the builder to use clay tile for the foundation drains. Over time these tiles can become partially filled with clay & sediment which will effectively prohibit the flow.

If you are doing an inside foundation drain and want it to last, consider using schedule 40 PVC in your stone bed with the holes facing down, and installing cleanouts at each corner of the house. Using the rubber matting at the bottom of the interior wall will help to prevent groundwater from finding it's way up and into the basement at the wall to floor seam.

Depending on the depth to footing and landscaping concerns, sometimes it is better to rent the mini-excavator and install around the outside of the footing.

lj973gm

Reaction score
Home is a bit of an oddball and was the only one built by the builder in my close area.

There is no clay tile on the inside or outside of the home. I have already broken up some areas of the floor inside the home and also dug out a couple of areas outside when I first moved in and was never able to locate any form of drain tile system.

Exterior drain tile is not a option due to landscape but the basement is currently unfinished so is the likely choice.

Plan to use SDR instead or PVC, I will not be using the corrugated black slinky since it prohibits flow and is not clearable as you stated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks