Drain plug broke off on tub shoe thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt r

Reaction score
Hi,

I am attempting to replace two of my bathtub drain plugs I was able to remove one of them with a drain extractor. The other one, the old drain broke off at the threads of the pipe and the extractor for some reason is not "catching" possibly because there's not enough for it to catch? Any suggestions on how to get the rest of this piece of old drain out? The chisel tip is touching the stuck piece. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5964.JPG
    IMG_5964.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 624

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I haven't seen drain plugs for tubs. If it's a standard thread, you may be able to use something like an EasyOut to catch the inside and unthread it.

Matt r

Reaction score
I haven't seen drain plugs for tubs. If it's a standard thread, you may be able to use something like an EasyOut to catch the inside and unthread it.
Hi terry maybe I am not using the correct term. In any case I did get one of the former plugs out with that gold tool that catches the inside but on this one that's broken, it's not catching anything and the gold tool just keeps spinning without catching.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I make it a point to never take a tub shoe apart without having everything on hand to replace the whole thing. Trying to cobble together old components rarely ends with good results.

Matt r

Reaction score
I make it a point to never take a tub shoe apart without having everything on hand to replace the whole thing. Trying to cobble together old components rarely ends with good results.
All I was trying to do was remove the old visible piece and replace it with a push plug didn't seem too complicated but the old piece broke off and is stuck in there now

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks