Drain pipe, PVC or ABS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
holeshot, so in other words the pictures are useless? Section sloping pretty bad under slab MEANS? Its flat ? Has backfall ? Who cares you're replacing it what's your question? kinda hard to help

Holeshot

Reaction score
If the slope of the under slab stuff is not correct, or you have other problems with it and aren't willing to tear up the slab, you may end up deciding to block that section off and reroute the run outside of the slab. That would still require getting it outside of the building, but might not require tearing up the slab, or if it does, not that much, depending on where the lines run.

Yes, that's the direction I'm moving towards. As in the photos, I already dug a trench under the slab that reaches the bathtub and toilet. Luckily all bathrooms and the kitchen are on exterior walls.
The other trench I dug out is at the sidewalk, the lowest point. After I finish repiping this side of the house, I'll start on the other side. I've already went through Dig Alert and had all the utility companies confirm and only the gas company has utilities underground and came out to sprayed their markers.

Holeshot

Reaction score
holeshot, so in other words the pictures are useless? section sloping pretty bad under slab MEANS? its flat ? has backfall ? Who cares your replacing it what's your question? kinda hard to help
Sorry for the vague description. The pipe has a valley slope according to the camera. It's a 3" pipe, 30' long that tee's into the main. The valley slope is at about 10-15' from the end, opposite side where it tees into. It seems to be causing the toilet to backup often. There's huge amount of rust in all the cast iron.

The title of my post is "Drain pipe, PVC or ABS?" Because Ferguson and everyone only sells foam core ABS. Most all manufactures now only make foam core ABS and some PVC. There's still solid core CPVC schedule 80.

The ABS foam core has an inner lining about half the thickness of a credit card. Foam core is great for manufacture's profit and job security because I don't see these lasting so long.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry for the vague description. The pipe has a valley slope according to the camera. It's a 3" pipe, 30' long that tee's into the main. The valley slope is at about 10-15' from the end, opposite side where it tees into. It seems to be causing the toilet to backup often. There's huge amount of rust in all the cast iron.

The title of my post is "Drain pipe, PVC or ABS?" Because Ferguson and everyone only sells foam core ABS. Most all manufactures now only make foam core ABS and some PVC. There's still solid core CPVC schedule 80.

The ABS foam core has an inner lining about half the thickness of a credit card. Foam core is great for manufacture's profit and job security because I don't see these lasting so long.

PVC fittings are available at supply house .com what do you mean you can't get PVC? been doing this 35 years and you are free to your opinion but I use ABS on every house I ever worked sometimes along with other material .
Answer to your question drainpipe PVC or ABS ? ABS

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks