Drain options

Users who are viewing this thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
PS One thing to consider if there are currently no fixtures in the basement is whether that arrangement was done to prevent spills from sewage backup. So if the new san-tee/wye connection would be below the next downstream manhole, then you'd need a backflow preventer as well. And it might be worth considering tying in higher up, on the floor above, to avoid that.

Cheers, Wayne

Treeman

Reaction score
We certainly need more pictures and drawing of what you have. I'm curious how your washer stand pipe ties into your sewer drain. Is that the very end, the high point of the sewer drain? Is there a trap on the washer stand pipe?

Unless a better, simpler solution is found, one somewhat dumb solution might be to mount your softener 30 inches higher on a VERY stout platform, then simply run the drain line straight up into the washer stand pipe. Dumb idea and it will make it difficult to load salt.

Another dumb idea and not recommended. When we moved into our house, the softener drain had been piped into the sump pit (by a licensed plumber, the previous owner claimed). It worked fine for 5 years, before I had it "corrected". Imagine the mess if the sump fails while emptying salty water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks