Drain Mystery

Users who are viewing this thread

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
Greetings all and thank you for allowing me into your forum.

I have a mystery here and I'm hoping someone might have some ideas what's going on. I recently moved into my home in March. The new home has an old school Fleck 5600 which was not operational. I've had this same softener in most of the homes I've owned so I know its pretty much bullet proof. I wasn't too concerned about getting it back online.

After doing the normal diagnostic measures I came to the conclusion that the drain line was blocked. That's where the mystery comes in. The softener is in a corner of my garage with the drain going out through the wall and then down into the ground in a small square cut out of the sidewalk next to my garage. Obviously without cracking up the concrete its not possible to dig up this drain. I've dug as deep as I can in the small square and can't really tell where this drain line goes. I've tried pulling it out but its buried deep. Does anyone have any ideas where they could have possibly terminated this line? And no the house is on county sewer, no septic system, at least not one that's in use today. I need to get this drain reconnected, just running it out on the ground it not a permanent solution but without knowing where this line goes I'm hesitant to do anything to clear it.

I've included an image link so you can see the setup. The green tubing is the drain line and the other pipes are the water supply coming into the house and to the softener. And no, I don't see the green tube coming back into the house anywhere. It goes into the ground and disappears. I live in Florida so the pipes freezing are not an issue.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EhwkUaFuDdRshibn7

All ideas greatly appreciated.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Without actually digging-up the existing drain line, no one will know for certain where it is terminated, but you may receive plenty of speculation.

Is there an alternate location to drain the softener using a new drain line? Suggest discharging through an air gap and trap into the county sewer system as opposed to directly into the ground as may have been happening with the existing line.

Reach4

Reaction score
Could you route the drain to your laundry standpipe or your laundry tub?

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
The closest drain would be either a sink in the laundry room or in the washing machine drain in the laundry room. The laundry room is just inside the garage. Although totally on the opposite corner so it would be necessary to run the drain up through the attic about 50 feet or more. I'm sure it could be done but access through the attic is very limited. Likely why it was routed the way it is. I'm just wondering if it would be safe to try and blow out that line with compressed air and reconnect. The softener looks as though it was offline for quite some time so it could just be plugged up with hardened salt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks