Drain maintenance: hot water + laundry detergent??

Users who are viewing this thread

44jd

Reaction score
i'm not a plumber or anything, was just curious about this...

a few years ago i rented a place and a few of the drains were slow so i took like a 3 gallon stock pot, filled it with water and added some laundry detergent and heated to probably 160 degrees or so (guessing) and after 2 or 3 of these stock pots full of semi-hot water, all the drains were working good...

i am just wondering, what temperature would be safe for most drain pipes(bathtub, kitchen sink, etc) and is there any possible damage here aside from too hot water temp? i mean it seems like an easy solution if the pipe isn't totally clogged... just wondering...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The detergent probably did NOTHING to help the flow. If it did, then washing machine drains would never plug up. Depending on what is in the pipe, the hot water might emulisify it and flush it down the drain.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is likely the slowness was caused by a greasy build up in the trap area. The hot water would cool very quickly once in the drain, so would not be too effective beyond the traps. This apparently work for you this time, but don't count on soapy, hot water to clean all drain clogs or semi-clogs.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I tell my customers to fill the disposer side of the sink with hot water, then open the drain and run the disposer to force the hot water through the pipe with a scouring action. It may not help keep the drain open, depending on what is in it, but it will not cause any problems either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks