Drain location for kitchen sink rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Trap adapters come with both hub and spigot fittings to attach them to the drainage piping. The advantage of stubbing out the drain from the wall (with a length of
1 1/2 pipe) is that you can later adapt the location of the trap adapter to work well with whatever sinks or equipment eventually gets installed. This could sometimes
involve inserting bends and other short lengths of pipe. The entire horizontal assembly of pipe and fittings that emerges from the santee in the wall, and attaches to
the J-bend of the trap is known as the "trap arm", and not just the piece that comes with the trap that you buy in the store.

In your case, it sounds like you will need at the very least a short section of pipe attached to the santee to put the trap adapter where you can attach the slip joint nut and
perhaps an escutcheon to cover the hole. Experienced plumbers in this forum have put forward the guesses of 15 and 16 inches AFF as good heights for a drain with disposal
installed. Note that unless you actually calculate or mock up with the actual appliances, it is indeed a GUESS. Being on the low side is always preferrable, as the difference can
be accomodated with the use of a tailpiece extension or similar device, whereas a drain that is too high can only be corrected by opening the wall and reworking the drain
piping there.

JMingrone

Reaction score
That's a good recommendation, so I'll hold off til the end before putting the adaptor on.

Thanks again,

Jay

JMingrone

Reaction score
Well, the cutout of the old 2" galvanized stuff and replacement with PVC went well.

Question regarding supply shutoffs:

If you have easy access from below (basement in my case) can the hot and cold shutoffs for the kitchen sink be located there instead of inside the sinkbase? Also, does the dishwasher have to have a separate shutoff? I'd be happy either way, just wondering what the code was.

Thanks,

Jay

JMingrone

Reaction score
If you have easy access from below (basement in my case) can the hot and cold shutoffs for a kitchen sink be located there instead of inside the sinkbase? Also, does the dishwasher have to have a separate shutoff? I'd be happy either way, just wondering what the code was.

Thanks,

Jay

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most people will be happier with the shutoffs near the sink. If you need to replace the DW, do you want to be without water at the sink for who knows how long? Give it a separate shutoff. They do make some dual shutoffs so you don't need a T and to branch to a completely separate valve body if you prefer.

Not sure on the code, but for convenience, in the cabinet.

JMingrone

Reaction score
OK, getting ready to put supply stubs to sink. Shutoffs will go in the sinkbase.

Question on the DW supply: can I simply "T" off the hot supply line inside the sinkbase (below the sink shutoff), put a shutoff there for the DW and run some kind of flex line through the wall of the sinkbase to the DW? That would be the easiest way for me. If so, what kind of fitting should go on the output side of the new DW shutoff to adapt to the flex line?

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A standard shutoff with 3/8" compression for the dishwasher water supply, and yes this can tee off from the same 1/2" as the kitchen faucet.
Normally we tee that off in the wall.
If you have a closed system, then code requires a water hammer arrestor for the dishwasher hot.
A stainless braided supply works fine there, with a 3/8" MIP by 3/8 comp. 90 el at the dishwasher.

JMingrone

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Terry. I got the torch running...

My supply stubs come up through the floor. Would you put the T below the floor to make a separate stub off the hot supply or T off the vertical stub for the sink inside the base cabinet, or does it even matter?

Where would the water hammer arrester go? Is that something you can buy?

Thanks, Jay

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks