Drain line question

Users who are viewing this thread

picktoo

Reaction score
Can a 1/2 inch braided stainless faucet supply hose be used as the primary drain line for a water softener? The one I'm considering is rated at 125 PSI.

I'm finalizing the re-install of my softener. I turned it 90 degrees to better fit the space it occupied, but that made the plumbing connections a bit more complicated. I used braided stainless water heater hoses between the supply/delivery connections and my PVC pipes, and they're great. Connecting the drain line with rigid PVC (as it was originally) would require a lot of joints, so I tried using semi-flexible vinyl (?) tubing and barbed irrigation connectors clamped into each end. Those connectors supposedly had IP threads, but they leak pretty badly during backwash. And, yes, I used teflon tape on them.

Reach4

Reaction score
How long is the drain run?

Those connectors supposedly had IP threads, but they leak pretty badly during backwash. And, yes, I used teflon tape on them.
That line does not see much pressure, because one end is open. Are you saying that the barbed connector you screwed to the softener leaks at the threaded part? Sounds cross-threaded.

picktoo

Reaction score
How long is the drain run?

That line does not see much pressure, because one end is open. Are you saying that the barbed connector you screwed to the softener leaks at the threaded part? Sounds cross-threaded.
Yes. at the softener end, and the drain line end. They threaded on with no resistance, and they look perfectly straight.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. How Long is ....

And I am not asking about an old Oakland Raider or the other guy.:) If your run is over 20 ft, you should probably increase to 3/4.

2. What softener controller is this?

Usually people use tubing with barbed threads and worm-gear clamps.

If you really want nice full-flow flex, consider a Falcon Stainless connector. You could use a 3/4 connector intended for water heaters. Some are rather stiff, but give some flex, are readily available, and cheap. The falcon is more flexible. So use a plastic or brass adapter as needed.

If you ran 3/4 CPVC instead of PVC, you could ease your connection from flex to pipe using SharkBite or similar push-on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks